Sending off application in December 2020

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have completed a large chunk of my application, having asked for a reference by my Physics teacher, and completing my PS after 4 drafts. I have decided on 4/5 choices already. Because of this, I will be sending my form around the second half of October or the first week of November, 2 weeks after my predicted grades are out (I have known that one of them is A*)
However, my school has persuaded us SO MANY TIMES to send off our applications in DECEMBER only!
I have contacted UCAS over a passport issue (as I will be getting a new one soon). They told me that I can update the new number to them even after the Jan 15 deadline, and the unis I got offers from will be notified as well.
However, if I send off my application in December, I may have gotten the new passport ready and create less problems for the universities, as they do not need to be notified about a change in my passport number.
So do you think I should listen to my teacher and send off the application in December, or stick with my original progress and send it off in Oct/Nov?
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
I have completed a large chunk of my application, having asked for a reference by my Physics teacher, and completing my PS after 4 drafts. I have decided on 4/5 choices already. Because of this, I will be sending my form around the second half of October or the first week of November, 2 weeks after my predicted grades are out (I have known that one of them is A*)
However, my school has persuaded us SO MANY TIMES to send off our applications in DECEMBER only!
I have contacted UCAS over a passport issue (as I will be getting a new one soon). They told me that I can update the new number to them even after the Jan 15 deadline, and the unis I got offers from will be notified as well.
However, if I send off my application in December, I may have gotten the new passport ready and create less problems for the universities, as they do not need to be notified about a change in my passport number.
So do you think I should listen to my teacher and send off the application in December, or stick with my original progress and send it off in Oct/Nov?
I don't see why UCAS need to know your passport number - I know I didn't have a valid passport when I applied for uni so it shouldn't be an issue. There is no benefit or drawback to applying particularly early or late. I sent in my application in September as I applied for Oxford, and got the offer for the uni I ended up going to (Bristol) in very early January so you're likely to get an earlier response the earlier you send it in. But if you're in no rush then there's no real point in sending it in early. UCAS are usually pretty good with changing details, and these are sent out within 48 hours to the unis you've applied to if there's a change to your UCAS application.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
I don't see why UCAS need to know your passport number - I know I didn't have a valid passport when I applied for uni so it shouldn't be an issue. There is no benefit or drawback to applying particularly early or late. I sent in my application in September as I applied for Oxford, and got the offer for the uni I ended up going to (Bristol) in very early January so you're likely to get an earlier response the earlier you send it in. But if you're in no rush then there's no real point in sending it in early. UCAS are usually pretty good with changing details, and these are sent out within 48 hours to the unis you've applied to if there's a change to your UCAS application.
Actually I am an international student and need to apply for tier 4 visa
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
That makes more sense with regards to the passport. I'd still say there's not much point either way. UCAS are good at updating their information from what I've had (and I changed quite a lot of info with them haha). You will get your visa really late regardless from what I've heard from friends - some only got theirs in mid-September. Best of luck.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
That makes more sense with regards to the passport. I'd still say there's not much point either way. UCAS are good at updating their information from what I've had (and I changed quite a lot of info with them haha). You will get your visa really late regardless from what I've heard from friends - some only got theirs in mid-September. Best of luck.
So, all being said, should I listen to my teacher and send the form off in December? I have heard that request multiple times now.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
There is no advantage to applying early so I would wait for December due to the passport issue and also because some people who apply early then change their mind re uni choices and wish that they had waited a bit longer
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
If your passport is out of date by the time a Uni is about to issue your CAS they will contact you to get the update.
So, yes you could wait until December, but it would be fine of you put your application in now and then update your passport number after Christmas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads