Access to HE online or local college course

Watch
thinlizzie278484
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of completing an Access to HE course? I am looking at completing an access to higher education course (science) with the view of applying to university to study a Bsc (Hons) Dietetics degree as a mature student. I already have A levels in Art and English Language and a BA (Hons) design degree, however the universities I am applying to have specified a science based access course as a prerequisite (since my degree and A levels are in the creative arts.)

I have found a number of local colleges which offer the course; predominantly on a full time bases. In addition I have come across the same course on 'Learn Direct' and 'Distance Learning.' The online options offer a little but more flexibility however I can't help but feel a bit skeptical about an online qualification because it is completely new territory for me...

Does anyone have any experience of completing an online or college access to HE course? If so I would be grateful to hear your experience?

It is worth noting the local college fees are double the price (£3384) compared to the online options which are quoting a cheaper figure around (£1244)

Thanks so much
denideth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thinlizzie278484)
Hello all

I just wondered if anyone has any experience of completing an Access to HE course? I am looking at completing an access to higher education course (science) with the view of applying to university to study a Bsc (Hons) Dietetics degree as a mature student. I already have A levels in Art and English Language and a BA (Hons) design degree, however the universities I am applying to have specified a science based access course as a prerequisite (since my degree and A levels are in the creative arts.)

I have found a number of local colleges which offer the course; predominantly on a full time bases. In addition I have come across the same course on 'Learn Direct' and 'Distance Learning.' The online options offer a little but more flexibility however I can't help but feel a bit skeptical about an online qualification because it is completely new territory for me...

Does anyone have any experience of completing an online or college access to HE course? If so I would be grateful to hear your experience?

It is worth noting the local college fees are double the price (£3384) compared to the online options which are quoting a cheaper figure around (£1244)

Thanks so much
Hi there. I completed an ATHE course at my local college last year, so I can only speak from that experience. I had so much fun and if I had to have paid £3000ish for it (I got mine free) I am almost certain I would have done so. I don't know what the situation is like now though with Covid-19 and all - is the college you're thinking of applying to going to be offering blended learning or will it all be online?

I'm not a great online learner so it was nice to be able to physically attend somewhere and learn the subjects in-person with like-minded adults, rather than staring at a computer screen. For the social aspect, going to an actual college is great. I still stay in contact with the people I did the course with. Being able to actually talk to a teacher face-to-face is helpful, too. As expected, there are a LOT of 16-18 year olds knocking about, so prepare to feel like you're back in high school. :rolleyes:
You can also use the college facilities which for Science subjects will be great for completing assignments. I did Biology as part of my ATHE course and we were in the labs doing practical experiments on enzymes as well as dissections on sheep hearts and lungs. I wouldn't have been able to do that at home and as someone who has to be able to "do" something in order to understand it well, I am very grateful that I had that opportunity. We went on field trips too.

Of course one of the downsides is travelling to and from the college if it's far from you. I had a 20-40 minute drive through the city centre depending on the traffic, and it was sometimes stressful getting parked. My college was also nowhere near as organised as what University is. My course was three days a week (Monday to Wednesday) so it still allowed me to work but ultimately I chose to reduce my hours in order to focus on the course. Came out with 45 Distinctions in the end so it was worth it.
Ldn17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi
I have a whole thread on this if you want some advice. I did an access course at college last September as a mature student and I have now started my dietetics degree after gaining entry.

Avoid online courses at all costs. Hope my thread helps I have lots of advice on there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads