Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How to start of a personal statement
hafsah002
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most people say to start with something catchy
Others preferred to use the "lightbulb" moment when they realized the uni course was for them
if you use the second suggestion it would be good to avoid:
"I was - years old when i realized"
"For as long as i can remember"
"It has always been my dream to"

Also there's a UCAS article you can read:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...killer-opening

I hope this helps xx
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by a.ceylannnn)
How to start of a personal statement
Hey a.ceylannnn :^_^: What courses are you considering?

I'm a fan of starting with a personal anecdote (although definitely avoiding those phrases hafsah002 has mentioned!!) to get going. My sister was writing her personal statement for Engineering, and she started by recalling the time she was first fascinated by Engineering while on a family cruise one year. She spoke about wanting to understand how things worked on the ship and that getting to watch things move and work together fascinated her, and then went on to discuss how her studies and extra curricular activites linked to this interest.

Have a think about why you want to study the course, and what you are most looking forward to about starting it. Sometimes taking a blank sheet of paper and scribbling down lots of ideas can help! It seems basic, but write down at the top of the page "I want to study (my course) because..." and then list your reasons. Once you can see all the reasons you have for studying it, one might jump at you as something you'd like to lead with.

Hope this helps a bit? Let us know how you get on

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
a.ceylannnn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey a.ceylannnn :^_^: What courses are you considering?

I'm a fan of starting with a personal anecdote (although definitely avoiding those phrases hafsah002 has mentioned!!) to get going. My sister was writing her personal statement for Engineering, and she started by recalling the time she was first fascinated by Engineering while on a family cruise one year. She spoke about wanting to understand how things worked on the ship and that getting to watch things move and work together fascinated her, and then went on to discuss how her studies and extra curricular activites linked to this interest.

Have a think about why you want to study the course, and what you are most looking forward to about starting it. Sometimes taking a blank sheet of paper and scribbling down lots of ideas can help! It seems basic, but write down at the top of the page "I want to study (my course) because..." and then list your reasons. Once you can see all the reasons you have for studying it, one might jump at you as something you'd like to lead with.

Hope this helps a bit? Let us know how you get on

- Caitlin
I would like to study children nursing.
a.ceylannnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by hafsah002)
Most people say to start with something catchy
Others preferred to use the "lightbulb" moment when they realized the uni course was for them
if you use the second suggestion it would be good to avoid:
"I was - years old when i realized"
"For as long as i can remember"
"It has always been my dream to"

Also there's a UCAS article you can read:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...killer-opening

I hope this helps xx
Thank you so much. But I need to start of with my passion towards nursing. So how would I start it off?.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would like to study children nursing.
a.ceylannnn oh lovely! what a great career path to follow

We don't teach child nursing at Strathclyde, but I'd think throughout the statement you'll be looking to show your empathy and caring side. You could start your personal statement perhaps by telling the reader how you can imagine yourself making a difference to the children you meet maybe?

Get in touch with the unis that teach your course for more specific advise, I'm sure they'll be happy to help :yep:

Good luck,

-Caitlin
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much. But I need to start of with my passion towards nursing. So how would I start it off?.
Why do you want to do nursing? It's probably easier to write the middle and then do the beginning
a.ceylannnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
a.ceylannnn oh lovely! what a great career path to follow

We don't teach child nursing at Strathclyde, but I'd think throughout the statement you'll be looking to show your empathy and caring side. You could start your personal statement perhaps by telling the reader how you can imagine yourself making a difference to the children you meet maybe?

Get in touch with the unis that teach your course for more specific advise, I'm sure they'll be happy to help :yep:

Good luck,

-Caitlin
Thank you so much I will probably start of with the passion towards nursing and carry on from there ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads