The Student Room Group

Cambridge Bio-Natural Sciences

Hi, I need to think of applying to Universities my mind keeps wandering to apply to Cambridge but i don't want to try if i don't have a good chance
Gsces: Chemistry 8, Biology 9, physics 7, Maths 8, English lit and lang 8, Geography 9, History 8, German 9, further maths 7
Good enough Gsces or will my lack of 9s put me at a disadvantage ?
Alevels: Biology, Chemistry Maths
Hopefully predicted quite high grades but will 3 Alevels put me at a distadvantage?
Work experience and super curriculars:
Nhs Pharmacy work experience,GSK work experience, Volunteered at my local chemist,
Biochemistry mooc course, BSMS medical work experience, chemistry essay competition, Cambridge chemistry summer school, reading books such as "why chemical reactions happen"
and if i have time i will try do Chemistry Olympiad, Chemistry and maths tutor
Volunteering: Summer reading challenge volunteer, Elderly home, reading mentor and Coach for younger children
extra curricular: altho probably won't matter,
Grade 7 piano distinction
Grade 7 flute distinction
Grade 5 theory distinction
Rangers/guides leader
Jazz band, choir, flute group, Orchestra
I am very keen on trying for Cambridge but i don't want to if i have a very low chance of getting in...
also what can i do as a student in year 12 to build up my application? I would like to study Bio natural sciences is this a very competitive course?
Many Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
3 A-levels is fine for biological natsci. I would note though that they don't really care at all about anything extracurricular wise that isn't specifically relevant to your course; how good a musician you are doesn't tell them if you would be a good scientist. Just doing wider reading in your proposed subject area(s) will be sufficient if you can critically reflect on it in your personal statement. Cambridge also aren't that fussed about GCSEs, and you have good GCSEs anyway. I would also note that they view 8 and 9 grades as both the same (equivalent to the old A*).

The success rate for natural sciences is I believe usually about the same as the average success rate for all Cambridge undergraduate degrees, so I don't think it's overly competitive on face value, although of course factors such as self selection out of applying to the course by those think their application might be "weaker" might confound things somewhat. Provided you are predicted A*A*A and do well on the NSAA I see little reason you wouldn't be interviewed. The interview will then probably be the major factor in determining if you get an offer, although they do consider everything else alongside it.
Original post by artful_lounger
3 A-levels is fine for biological natsci. I would note though that they don't really care at all about anything extracurricular wise that isn't specifically relevant to your course; how good a musician you are doesn't tell them if you would be a good scientist. Just doing wider reading in your proposed subject area(s) will be sufficient if you can critically reflect on it in your personal statement. Cambridge also aren't that fussed about GCSEs, and you have good GCSEs anyway. I would also note that they view 8 and 9 grades as both the same (equivalent to the old A*).

The success rate for natural sciences is I believe usually about the same as the average success rate for all Cambridge undergraduate degrees, so I don't think it's overly competitive on face value, although of course factors such as self selection out of applying to the course by those think their application might be "weaker" might confound things somewhat. Provided you are predicted A*A*A and do well on the NSAA I see little reason you wouldn't be interviewed. The interview will then probably be the major factor in determining if you get an offer, although they do consider everything else alongside it.

Thank you so much for the reply,
I was wondering is all this super curricular activities i am doing going to help me stand out and make up for my Gsces?
I also attended an Open day of Cambridge and they said having 3 Alevels doenst disadvantage you but doing 4 shows that you are hard-working
but you could equally be doing 3 Alevels and 2 instruments and that would reflect the same
therefore is there any use in putting my music in my application?
Original post by Abigail.alex
Thank you so much for the reply,
I was wondering is all this super curricular activities i am doing going to help me stand out and make up for my Gsces?

Your GCSEs are very good, and Cambridge don't care much about them anyway. "Supercurricular" activities are useful, but they aren't required for admission as Cambridge realises not all applicants will have equal opportunity to take part in them - hence, it is sufficient to just do wider reading around your proposed subject area(s). If you do have the opportunity to pursue such activities though then by all means do so, as hopefully you will find them stimulating and enjoyable intellectual activities.

It is worth bearing in mind other universities may put more value on "unrelated" extracurricular activities, so it is still probably worth devoting some space on your PS to that stuff, as you will be applying to four other universities. However most Cambridge admissions tutors have indicated in interviews with the media etc in the past that it really means nothing to them when they see an applicant to maths has grade 8 organ or an applicant to philosophy has gold DoE.

Quick Reply

Latest