Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which is more respected?
which is more safe ?
Cant make up my mind lol

btw applying for Biomedical Science
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

When comparing universities, I would recommend comparing the teaching standards at each: for example, there are standardized comparisons such as the Athena Swan awards. The University of Sheffield is a Russell Group universtiy which means that it is a research-led institution. Looking at league tables can also be useful - however, be sure to look at league tables over a few years to see if a department has been improving over the last few years or whether it has slipped in the league tables.

Daniel
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
Third Year
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi there,

When comparing universities, I would recommend comparing the teaching standards at each: for example, there are standardized comparisons such as the Athena Swan awards. The University of Sheffield is a Russell Group universtiy which means that it is a research-led institution. Looking at league tables can also be useful - however, be sure to look at league tables over a few years to see if a department has been improving over the last few years or whether it has slipped in the league tables.

Daniel
MBiolSci Biology with a Year Abroad
Third Year
Yes but the major thing im considering is that sheffield university is not that diverse
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes but the major thing im considering is that sheffield university is not that diverse
Sheffield has more international students (28%) to Brunel's (22%). For Home/EU students Brunel will be more diverse as it is so close to London which is really diverse. Sheffield is definitely more respected, Russell Group, 11th in CUG rankings for Biomedical Sciences to Brunel's 63rd and will students with higher average entry tariffs. Between Uxbridge and Sheffield. I wouldn't worry about crime rate, you just have to be sensible and avoid no-go areas and walking late into the night.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by etienne26)
Sheffield has more international students (28%) to Brunel's (22%). For Home/EU students Brunel will be more diverse as it is so close to London which is really diverse. Sheffield is definitely more respected, Russell Group, 11th in CUG rankings for Biomedical Sciences to Brunel's 63rd and will students with higher average entry tariffs. Between Uxbridge and Sheffield. I wouldn't worry about crime rate, you just have to be sensible and avoid no-go areas and walking late into the night.
oh okay thnks for your reply, appreciate it
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by etienne26)
Hi!

Just to add onto what etienne26 has posted. Sheffield is a very ethnically diverse city and this is also reflected across the University, we have students from a range of ethnic backgrounds and from all around the world so I wouldn't worry about a lack of diversity as Sheffield definitely is diverse! The University has a range of societies also for all different countries or ethnicities which is really good to find a group of people you really relate to! As has been mentioned Sheffield is Russell group university so is very research intensive which is particularly good for courses like BioMed which are focused on a lot of research, as mentioned by Daniel I 100% agree with checking the league tables, a good site is UniStats for comparing between universities. At the end of the day for me Student satisfaction was the most important as you spend 3+ years at University you want to make sure you are somewhere that makes you happy Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Which is more respected?
which is more safe ?
Cant make up my mind lol

btw applying for Biomedical Science
Sheffield University is a great place to study, live and have a real uni life. A friend from LSE visited Sheffield University, went to one of the cafes in the Students Union and visited the Endcliffe Complex, and immediately said, if he knew he would have come to Sheffield for a great uni experience. Brunel should be nice too, but if you are comparing Brunel vs Sheffield, then Sheffield should warrant serious consideration. Have you visited Sheffield University? Although it is not a campus university, it is practically one as it is occupies many buildings in one part of the city, and feels like a campus within a city.
anaindiemood
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just started Sheffield in my first year for biomedical science and I noticed you questioned how diverse it is....I’ve only been here over a week but my course is SO diverse! Honestly there’s people from all four corners of the globe from all sorts of cultures/races/religions so you really don’t have to worry about that! Sheffield is a Russell group too and has some world leading researchers if that’s what you’re interested in!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
Just started Sheffield in my first year for biomedical science and I noticed you questioned how diverse it is....I’ve only been here over a week but my course is SO diverse! Honestly there’s people from all four corners of the globe from all sorts of cultures/races/religions so you really don’t have to worry about that! Sheffield is a Russell group too and has some world leading researchers if that’s what you’re interested in!
Ohh okay thanks for the reply , defoo reassuring thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.88%
I'm not a current university student (629)
48.91%

Watched Threads