honeill1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys how do they want you to answer this question?
Space invaders
People often feel uncomfortable when strangers sit next to them on a bus and so will use territorial markers (such as a bag on a seat) to prevent this happening. Psychologists wanted to see what territorial markers were used and how frequently, so they went on buses in London for a day and recorded the number of times each of these territorial markers were used
Putting coat on empty seat
Put bag on empty seat
Stretches legs on onto empty seat
Sits in the middle of two seats

Evaluate the observational research method with reference to the research described above
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by honeill1)
Hi guys how do they want you to answer this question?
Space invaders
People often feel uncomfortable when strangers sit next to them on a bus and so will use territorial markers (such as a bag on a seat) to prevent this happening. Psychologists wanted to see what territorial markers were used and how frequently, so they went on buses in London for a day and recorded the number of times each of these territorial markers were used
Putting coat on empty seat
Put bag on empty seat
Stretches legs on onto empty seat
Sits in the middle of two seats

Evaluate the observational research method with reference to the research described above
How many marks is the question? Without knowing that, I can only roughly guess. You'll need to explain what the observational research method is and then (depending on the marks) have 2-4 evaluation points, linking those points to the research described in the question.
honeill1
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
How many marks is the question? Without knowing that, I can only roughly guess. You'll need to explain what the observational research method is and then (depending on the marks) have 2-4 evaluation points, linking those points to the research described in the question.
It’s a 6 credit exam. This is a mock question but finding it really difficult to answer. Could you give me some examples on what you said above? Thanks!
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s a 6 credit exam. This is a mock question but finding it really difficult to answer. Could you give me some examples on what you said above? Thanks!
What evaluation points have you studied already? Usually they are pretty generic and you can apply most of them to the research in the question.

As for explaining observational research, well that is fairly self-explanatory and I'm sure you must know what that is.
honeill1
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
What evaluation points have you studied already? Usually they are pretty generic and you can apply most of them to the research in the question.

As for explaining observational research, well that is fairly self-explanatory and I'm sure you must know what that is.
Yeah I have done the whole module I know the strengths and limitations, types of data and all the perspectives but what I’m asking is what do they want you to write say from a biological perspective, behaviour etc. How do I format the answer is basically what I’m struggling with....
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah I have done the whole module I know the strengths and limitations, types of data and all the perspectives but what I’m asking is what do they want you to write say from a biological perspective, behaviour etc. How do I format the answer is basically what I’m struggling with....
From what you've said, the question hasn't asked you to write it from a specific perspective. I would do it how I said above: outline what observational research is and then give 2-3 evaluation points and follow the PEEL paragraph structure. Point (the evaluation point you're making), Evidence (what part of the research demonstrates the evaluation point), Explain (explain why it is a strength/weakness of the observational method) and then Link it back to the overall question. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (96)
13.64%
I'm not sure (32)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (220)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (339)
48.15%

Watched Threads