The Student Room Group

Have your say: Students could be asked to stay on campus over Christmas break

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OxMus
I highly doubt that my university/college would do that; but if they did, I would ignore it.

Also, my university term is still another week away, so I don’t know how our coronavirus situation will compare to other universities; but international students have already arrived and are quarantining in advance of the term.
Corona virus doesn't stop during winter cos students want a jolly with their family.

They should do a daily campus roll call and expell anyone who doesn't abide by the rules.
Original post by Guru Jason
Corona virus doesn't stop during winter cos students want a jolly with their family.

They should do a daily campus roll call and expell anyone who doesn't abide by the rules.

ridiculous idea.
Original post by MadameRazz
ridiculous idea.

Nice retort.
ridiculous idea.

What's to stop me catching and spreading the virus as I see fit, nothing and nobody will...seems to be the mentality here.
You've lost your absolute marbles if you think ill be staying in my university bedroom for the Christmas holidays.
Nice retort.

thanks. it got my point across just fine.
Original post by Mkb24764
What's to stop me catching and spreading the virus as I see fit, nothing and nobody will...seems to be the mentality here.

thats the mentality for a lot of brits, don’t see why students should be punished.
thats the mentality for a lot of brits, don’t see why students should be punished.

Whataboutary much? Just because some of the public are doing the wrong thing doesn't allow students to do the same.
Whataboutary much? Just because some of the public are doing the wrong thing doesn't allow students to do the same.

didnt say it did. but i also dont agree with students being punished. full lockdown or nothing.

Or put another way, I wanna be part of the problem rather than helping solve it.
Original post by Mkb24764
Or put another way, I wanna be part of the problem rather than helping solve it.

how is locking a load of students inside solving anything when primary schools have a higher transmission rate? when people are going out to work, the pubs, on public transport? sounds like you just have a vendetta against students.
didnt say it did. but i also dont agree with students being punished. full lockdown or nothing.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

If the government says says stay on campus or get fined then you do it, no ifs or buts. It's to save lives.

If the government says you can go home, then you can go home. Despite the shambles that is our current government, they're at least trying to stem deaths caused by covid19 and as mature students, they should respect that.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

If the government says says stay on campus or get fined then you do it, no ifs or buts. It's to save lives.

If the government says you can go home, then you can go home. Despite the shambles that is our current government, they're at least trying to stem deaths caused by covid19 and as mature students, they should respect that.

I have to be able to go home for medical reasons, as I stated above, so they wouldn’t be able to keep me at university anyway. I’m sure many students will have good reason to also not be kept at university. Students aren’t all the same and one rule will not work for everyone.
Well, people knew the risks when they were going to university so it really shouldn't come as a surprise to be honest.
I have to be able to go home for medical reasons, as I stated above, so they wouldn’t be able to keep me at university anyway. I’m sure many students will have good reason to also not be kept at university. Students aren’t all the same and one rule will not work for everyone.

The gov has already made stipulations for those with medical issues or family emergencies but they are the exception not the rule.
The gov has already made stipulations for those with medical issues or family emergencies but they are the exception not the rule.

Wonderful I love being an exception. Still don’t agree with locking uni students in.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Well, people knew the risks when they were going to university so it really shouldn't come as a surprise to be honest.

the universities and the government knew the risks and they opened anyway, mostly to get rent money. students should be refunded and sent home to learn online.
Wonderful I love being an exception. Still don’t agree with locking uni students in.

Students dont have to agree with it to just do it. Are students that against saving lives that wont forgo one christmas to potentially save lives. 40 unis confirmed to have cases so far. Do we send them all home an additional 40 places with coronavirus.
I would imagine that if students are told to stay put after a certain date, there will be floods of students leaving before that date comes to get around the rule. It's not particularly realistic, but it's also down to everyone to be sensible (and not travel if they think they have symptoms etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending