Th3ArtfulDodger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi

I have a few questions regarding economics and the personal statement

1. How much of an importance does Warwick, UCL and Cambridge place on having chosen Further Math? (When choosing my options I wanted to pursue politics and chose Economics, Math, History and Sociology, which I dropped last week)

2. In my personal statement do I need to define subject-related terms or should I assume the admissions tutor is know what i'm talking about?

3. Can i write a purely academical personal statement or am I meant to talk about extra-curriculars despite having no significance nor relevance to economics?
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Th3ArtfulDodger)
Hi

I have a few questions regarding economics and the personal statement

1. How much of an importance does Warwick, UCL and Cambridge place on having chosen Further Math? (When choosing my options I wanted to pursue politics and chose Economics, Math, History and Sociology, which I dropped last week)

2. In my personal statement do I need to define subject-related terms or should I assume the admissions tutor is know what i'm talking about?

3. Can i write a purely academical personal statement or am I meant to talk about extra-curriculars despite having no significance nor relevance to economics?

Hi there,

I’ll do my best to answer your questions (last year I applied to Economics degrees) but please bear in mind that I’m not an Admissions Tutor, so these are only my opinions from research I did.

1) I don’t know about UCL, but for Cambridge and Warwick at least, having FM is strongly desired. For Cambridge, I think it is essentially an implicit pre-requisite; the only people I’ve heard of who didn’t do FM and got in are those who maybe only took AS but had extenuating circumstances. Even if it isn’t offered at your school, I’m fairly sure Cambridge mention somewhere on their website that they’d like you to self teach it. For Warwick, having FM is slightly less important but still advantageous; Economics is one of their most competitive courses, so ultimately a lot of people applying to Oxford/Cambridge/LSE also apply to Warwick, meaning a high proportion of applicants offer FM.

2) You can almost always assume that the tutors will know what you’re on about; you should spend less time defining terms and more time explaining your opinions or things you learnt from supercurriculars, and how they make you a better economist or link to University studies.

3) For top Unis, you can do a purely academic personal statement, however as you should be applying to Universities with a range of requirements, some like you to mention extracurriculars. I would recommend having 1-3 lines on extracurriculars and link them back to your degree through e.g. highlighting the soft skills you gained, but if you choose to have no mention of extracurriculars you would probably get away with it.

Best of luck with your applications!
Th3ArtfulDodger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Hi there,

I’ll do my best to answer your questions (last year I applied to Economics degrees) but please bear in mind that I’m not an Admissions Tutor, so these are only my opinions from research I did.

1) I don’t know about UCL, but for Cambridge and Warwick at least, having FM is strongly desired. For Cambridge, I think it is essentially an implicit pre-requisite; the only people I’ve heard of who didn’t do FM and got in are those who maybe only took AS but had extenuating circumstances. Even if it isn’t offered at your school, I’m fairly sure Cambridge mention somewhere on their website that they’d like you to self teach it. For Warwick, having FM is slightly less important but still advantageous; Economics is one of their most competitive courses, so ultimately a lot of people applying to Oxford/Cambridge/LSE also apply to Warwick, meaning a high proportion of applicants offer FM.

2) You can almost always assume that the tutors will know what you’re on about; you should spend less time defining terms and more time explaining your opinions or things you learnt from supercurriculars, and how they make you a better economist or link to University studies.

3) For top Unis, you can do a purely academic personal statement, however as you should be applying to Universities with a range of requirements, some like you to mention extracurriculars. I would recommend having 1-3 lines on extracurriculars and link them back to your degree through e.g. highlighting the soft skills you gained, but if you choose to have no mention of extracurriculars you would probably get away with it.

Best of luck with your applications!
tysm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.73%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.62%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.84%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.38%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.77%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (129)
19.66%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.79%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.2%

Watched Threads