Is there a work done against friction in this case?

Watch
richie.harvy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m required to find work done against friction in part(c). According to the answer, it is equal in magnitude to the work done by friction... but I feel it should be 0J since there’s no other force that can do work against friction. Am I correct?Name:  DB230E55-BF7A-4511-9819-8BC1938FDF64.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  38.3 KB
Last edited by richie.harvy; 4 weeks ago
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by richie.harvy)
I’m required to find work done against friction in part(c). According to the answer, it is equal in magnitude to the work done by friction... but I feel it should be 0J since there’s no other force that can do work against friction. Am I correct?
You are arguing about semantics. The work done against (the phenomenon of) friction is the same as the work done by (the force of) friction.
richie.harvy
Rep:
?
But there has to be a force to do work AGAINST friction no? There ain’t any such force here. Isn’t it?
richie.harvy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lordaxil)
You are arguing about semantics. The work done against (the phenomenon of) friction is the same as the work done by (the force of) friction.
Also, why is work done by friction negative and work done against positive?
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by richie.harvy)
Also, why is work done by friction negative and work done against positive?
I didn't see the diagram in your original post - now it is clearer what you are asking.

The box has an initial momentum and so due to its inertia, it will continue to move unless acted on by a net force in horizontal direction. That force is the friction, which acts in a direction opposite to the direction of travel. The work done by friction is negative because it is removing energy from the box, until it comes to rest. The work done against friction is positive because it is contributing energy to extenal system which will mostly be dissipated as heat. The sign here is purely a matter of convention.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
13.93%
I'm not sure (30)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (206)
31.89%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (306)
47.37%

Watched Threads