Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I wanted some advice about being lonely at uni. I've been here a week, I get on with all my flatmates decently and we have been out together. However, even though I am sociable, I am a very naturally introverted person so I like spending my time indoors with family, recharging my social battery and being alone especially during the day because I get exhausted. I have been out we the flat for a few days but I don't like drinking all the day and going out like ive said, especially as alcohol gives me acne, but I feel like if I don't drink I'm missing out because I much sober than the rest of them and don't want to stay up till like 3 every night. One of them is similar to me in this aspect so I might try and go out with him during the day a bit, but I also have routines of when I like to eat etc and do stuff, and I find it hard to go into the kitchen as I am self conscious. I know I have to stick it out because its been a short period of time but I'm just wondering if the stress/anxiety will stop as well as loneliness- I've been upset in my room at least once every day. Even meeting people on my course will be hard because of coronavirus. I like my course and the uni but I'm worried I regret staying in accommodation, but I can't even live at home because its two hours away.
Any advice please
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I wanted some advice about being lonely at uni. I've been here a week, I get on with all my flatmates decently and we have been out together. However, even though I am sociable, I am a very naturally introverted person so I like spending my time indoors with family, recharging my social battery and being alone especially during the day because I get exhausted. I have been out we the flat for a few days but I don't like drinking all the day and going out like ive said, especially as alcohol gives me acne, but I feel like if I don't drink I'm missing out because I much sober than the rest of them and don't want to stay up till like 3 every night. One of them is similar to me in this aspect so I might try and go out with him during the day a bit, but I also have routines of when I like to eat etc and do stuff, and I find it hard to go into the kitchen as I am self conscious. I know I have to stick it out because its been a short period of time but I'm just wondering if the stress/anxiety will stop as well as loneliness- I've been upset in my room at least once every day. Even meeting people on my course will be hard because of coronavirus. I like my course and the uni but I'm worried I regret staying in accommodation, but I can't even live at home because its two hours away.
Any advice please
Maybe you should try accommodation, i feel like its the best for you
naeology
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
Any advice please
Hey! I’m in a similar situation, I’m quite introverted, not a fan of drinking and stuff like that, would rather stay in and watch a movie or something. I know it feels lonely at the moment, but it will hopefully be better when classes start - are any of your classes face to face? Remember a lot of people are feeling the way you are, myself included sometimes (I‘m 3 1/2 hrs away from home), and I know that it doesn’t make the loneliness hurt any less but maybe you have to give this some time? Speak to your family as often as you can, try not to sit in your room by yourself for too long, and if you are going to sit in your room stay occupied - read, watch something funny, etc. Overthinking and overanalysing are not our friends, seriously. Reach out to your flatmates if you’re feeling down, they’ll understand and hopefully you could find something to do that you could all enjoy. From one fresher to another I really hope that you feel better soon ☹️ and don’t be afraid to PM if you ever need to talk - even if it’s about nothing in particular x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by naeology)
Hey! I’m in a similar situation, I’m quite introverted, not a fan of drinking and stuff like that, would rather stay in and watch a movie or something. I know it feels lonely at the moment, but it will hopefully be better when classes start - are any of your classes face to face? Remember a lot of people are feeling the way you are, myself included sometimes (I‘m 3 1/2 hrs away from home), and I know that it doesn’t make the loneliness hurt any less but maybe you have to give this some time? Speak to your family as often as you can, try not to sit in your room by yourself for too long, and if you are going to sit in your room stay occupied - read, watch something funny, etc. Overthinking and overanalysing are not our friends, seriously. Reach out to your flatmates if you’re feeling down, they’ll understand and hopefully you could find something to do that you could all enjoy. From one fresher to another I really hope that you feel better soon ☹️ and don’t be afraid to PM if you ever need to talk - even if it’s about nothing in particular x
Yeah I am defo gunna stick it out because for a while because I know a lot of people say it does get better. I have two hours of socially distanced seminar per week but thats it. I have a lot of reading to do already to prepare for my seminars and stuff so that occupies a lot of my time, I think I just miss my friends from home, especially seeing two of them who are in the same flat together and having fun, and haven't made a proper connection with anyone yet. Thank you though, its comforting to know other people feel this way x
naeology
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I am defo gunna stick it out because for a while because I know a lot of people say it does get better. I have two hours of socially distanced seminar per week but thats it. I have a lot of reading to do already to prepare for my seminars and stuff so that occupies a lot of my time, I think I just miss my friends from home, especially seeing two of them who are in the same flat together and having fun, and haven't made a proper connection with anyone yet. Thank you though, its comforting to know other people feel this way x
Yeah, I totally understand that 😕 Just keep positive I guess, hopefully things will pick up for you soon!
UELStudentRep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
It's normal to feel like that, you will eventually get used to the routine, remember that you don't have to do anything you don't want to, just because they drink all the time or are out late doesn't mean you have to. Try not to stress too much about the social aspect of uni, you can go and have fun but make sure you focus on the academic side that's the most important one anyway. Find someone that is similar to you, that will help.
Good luck! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.38%
I'm not sure (59)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (368)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (614)
48.77%

Watched Threads