Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i'm taking a gap year as i have no clue what i wanna do w my life. i'm thinking of going uni next year (if i find something i wanna study) but it's so expensive and i'm so poor lol.

basically everyone who went to my sixth form has now started uni and theyve made so many friends (the spam of freshers parties on their snap stories) and they all are really enjoying it so far. i just don't get how they can afford it.

first of all, how is it possible to pay £30,000+ out of your wages in the future, i know it's gradual but most jobs only pay in the twenty thousands. also, accomodation costs are also ridiculous, the cheapest ones are £100-£200 a wEEK but they're all really bad unis or really far away. i get homesick so i would wanna go to a uni close to me, and unfortunately that's london, which is even more expensive.

i also don't have a job, as everyone is rejecting me for some unknown reason, so i have absolutely no money when i would need to buy food and transport stuff. i wouldn't be able to go on any freshers nights out bc i would have no money to pay for drinks. so i wouldnt make friends. so i would be poor AND lonely.

i just dont get how people are affording it basically. idk what to do with my life
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do NOT worry about university finances. please don’t let that be the thing that puts you off because it won’t be worth it. the government pays for it whilst you are there and you only pay back a tiny amount at a time after you start earning a specific amount. and then if you dont pay it all off after 30 years the debt is wiped clean anyway.
Last edited by MadameRazz; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MadameRazz)
do NOT worry about university finances. please don’t let that be the thing that puts you off because it won’t be worth it. the government pays for it whilst you are there and you only pay back a tiny amount at a time after you start earning a specific amount. and then if you dont pay it all off after 30 years the debt is wiped clean anyway.
that's the thing tho, you either get a good paying job but you have to pay the loan back, or don't pay the loan back but have a bad paying job ;(
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
that's the thing tho, you either get a good paying job but you have to pay the loan back, or don't pay the loan back but have a bad paying job ;(
not necessarily. paying back the loan is really not a big deal. i suggest looking through the things Martin MSE has written about it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I’m taking a gap year to sit 2 subs one in autumn and other in summer. After autumn plan is to get a job and save as money as possible. Is it really that hard to get a job. Have u tried in person or r u just sending your cv online.
Kogomogo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The student loans / grants normally take care of your tuition and living expenses. 100-200 a week is pretty standard for university accommodation, even the good ones, and quite manageable with the loans. Expect to generally pay around the same price or more for private non-shared accommodation.

You could get a houseshare in many cities for less if that sounds like too much but there are a lot of people living in uni accommodation managing just fine off the student finance. Certain cities, especially London, can be very expensive for private accommodation and living though.

In terms of paying it back you'll only pay back a percentage of your earnings over a certain amount so repayments are pretty affordable. If you can't get a decent paying job after uni then you won't be paying anything back so it's nothing to worry about.
Kogomogo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kogomogo)
The student loans / grants normally take care of your tuition and living expenses. 100-200 a week is pretty standard for university accommodation, even the good ones, and quite manageable with the loans. Expect to generally pay around the same price or more for private non-shared accommodation.

You could get a houseshare in many cities for less if that sounds like too much but there are a lot of people living in uni accommodation managing just fine off the student finance. Certain cities, especially London, can be very expensive for private accommodation and living though.

In terms of paying it back you'll only pay back a percentage of your earnings over a certain amount so repayments are pretty affordable. If you can't get a decent paying job after uni then you won't be paying anything back so it's nothing to worry about.
Edit: Jobs are pretty difficult to get in the uk, and the market is especially poor right now due to covid, many are out of work and a lot of businesses are struggling. I personally think you'd be better off in uni and coming out of the financial mess with a qualification rather than struggling and having a gap on your cv.
Anonymous #1
I’m taking a gap year to sit 2 subs one in autumn and other in summer. After autumn plan is to get a job and save as money as possible. Is it really that hard to get a job. Have u tried in person or r u just sending your cv online.
both. i 'need more experience in a customer based environment' but how i am supposed to do that if i cant get a job to get the experience
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kogomogo)

do u have to pay accomodation loans back tho? bc then that's another whole load of money on top of the 9250 per year :/
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
this is what i was thinking too :yep:
hello9612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since you live near london could you commute? That way you would reduce the cost of uni a lot
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm taking a gap year as i have no clue what i wanna do w my life. i'm thinking of going uni next year (if i find something i wanna study) but it's so expensive and i'm so poor lol.

basically everyone who went to my sixth form has now started uni and theyve made so many friends (the spam of freshers parties on their snap stories) and they all are really enjoying it so far. i just don't get how they can afford it.

first of all, how is it possible to pay £30,000+ out of your wages in the future, i know it's gradual but most jobs only pay in the twenty thousands. also, accomodation costs are also ridiculous, the cheapest ones are £100-£200 a wEEK but they're all really bad unis or really far away. i get homesick so i would wanna go to a uni close to me, and unfortunately that's london, which is even more expensive.

i also don't have a job, as everyone is rejecting me for some unknown reason, so i have absolutely no money when i would need to buy food and transport stuff. i wouldn't be able to go on any freshers nights out bc i would have no money to pay for drinks. so i wouldnt make friends. so i would be poor AND lonely.

i just dont get how people are affording it basically. idk what to do with my life
Hi!

Please don't worry about going to university or the time when you should. Everyone's timeline is different and it works out what is best for you.
I took a gap year and it just gave me the breather to figure out what I really wanted to do in life. If it takes you longer that's fine, as some people join uni later in their 20's.
The loan is for the tuition and maintenance, which is living costs to cover rent etc. Student Finance is a loan and it only comes out in small amounts and after a while (30 years) it stops, so you may not even be paying it all back. Also, everyone's finance is different, I had to take the gap year to earn a bit of money to be comfortable. Don't let finance get in your way. If its really what you want there is always help for finance if you speak to someone at the university you want to apply for, like bursaries and scholarships etc.
It's absolutely fine to take time to find what you want to do and university doesn't have to be the be all and end all.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Kogomogo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do u have to pay accomodation loans back tho? bc then that's another whole load of money on top of the 9250 per year :/
You pay for the accommodation out of the 9250 a year in maintenance loans, which you will only pay back if you have a decent paying job. There is no penalty for never paying it back if you never earn enough, and the debt will be wiped when you reach a certain age.

A standard uni accommodation contract length is about 41 weeks, say accom is 120 a week then you will pay just under 5000 for the uni year, leaving you with just over 100 a week for food and going out. Uni accom usually has utilities included so you won't have to worry about any bills, or if you're in private accommodation there will be some bills to pay. That's more than enough to live on, food is probably 15-30 a week depending what you eat.

You can save during term so you can buy stuff during the summer, most students move back home between terms so don't have to worry about rent. In theory though if you could put 40 a week in savings (1640 then left over in savings, living off about 65 a week during term) it should pay rent and living over summer if you were to live away from home in a houseshare (you'd have about 150 a week, houseshares can cost as little as 30 or 40 a week, maybe up to 100 in most areas that aren't expensive to live in).

You'd be fine.
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
trust me do NOT worry about paying back loans. it really isnt worth wasting your education. unless you want to do a job that doesnt require a degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.31%
I'm not sure (59)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (371)
29.33%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (617)
48.77%

Watched Threads