satsun
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
In word my personal statement in just under 47 lines, and just below 4000 characters. However, when I put it into UCAS it says I’m 5 lines over the 47 limit. Why is this?
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Different text editors have different character lengths per line. Most likely, your text editor has probably told you you're just under 47 lines because each line on that text editor will contain more characters than what the UCAS personal statement box allows for.
satsun
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mikos)
Different text editors have different character lengths per line. Most likely, your text editor has probably told you you're just under 47 lines because each line on that text editor will contain more characters than what the UCAS personal statement box allows for.
Can I reduce them by cutting out the lines in between paragraphs?
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by satsun)
Can I reduce them by cutting out the lines in between paragraphs?
Shouldn't be too big of an issue as long as it's still clearly in paragraphs
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You should have line breaks between paragraphs as it makes it A LOT easier to read. See how the lines work and see if you can shorten some of the paragraphs to make them take up a line less
simonmorrish
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by satsun)
In word my personal statement in just under 47 lines, and just below 4000 characters. However, when I put it into UCAS it says I’m 5 lines over the 47 limit. Why is this?
I know, right. It's such a pain the neck. Just when you think you've got it done, you find you've got more editing to do. The reason this happens is because whether it's 47 lines or not depends on how long UCAS considers a line to be - your line length is different from theirs. Also, everywhere you press the Enter key to make a new line, it counts as two characters.

I put together a couple of templates - one Google Docs, one Microsoft Word - which exactly mimic the line lengths in the UCAS form. If you edit you personal statement in one of these templates, and keep an eye on the character count, you can be sure it will paste into UCAS OK. Here are the templates:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=91039996#post91 039996

If you find them useful, can you let me know? Or also if you find any problem?
snazzy viking
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you can use this as well

https://www.studential.com/applying/...length-checker
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (46)
15.97%
I'm not sure (8)
2.78%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.72%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.39%
I'm not a current university student (130)
45.14%

Watched Threads