Why have I been sent an invitation to register to vote when I'm already registered?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just received a invitation from the council through the post to register to vote. It says I need to respond to the letter even if I think I'm not eligible to vote. If you don't you could be fined £80. Please respond by 28/09/2020. Even if you've recently completed a canvass communication, you still need to complete this form. We will confirm in writing or by email when you've been added to the electoral register. (I didn't get any canvass communication whatever that is)

My parents put my name on the register when I was old enough to vote which was around 10 years ago (Registration was different then. You got a letter asking who was registered to vote and could add the name of anyone who wasn't) so I'm already registered to vote so why are they asking me again? I've been getting vote slips every time there's an election since I became registered which was over 10 years ago.

Also Is it important to be on the open register? I don't want everyone to be able to see my name and address only the people who need to for legal reasons. What happens if I take my name off the open register, will it affect me in any way?
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just received a invitation from the council through the post to register to vote. It says I need to respond to the letter even if I think I'm not eligible to vote. If you don't you could be fined £80. Please respond by 28/09/2020. Even if you've recently completed a canvass communication, you still need to complete this form. We will confirm in writing or by email when you've been added to the electoral register. (I didn't get any canvass communication whatever that is)

My parents put my name on the register when I was old enough to vote which was around 10 years ago (Registration was different then. You got a letter asking who was registered to vote and could add the name of anyone who wasn't) so I'm already registered to vote so why are they asking me again? I've been getting vote slips every time there's an election since I became registered which was over 10 years ago.

Also Is it important to be on the open register? I don't want everyone to be able to see my name and address only the people who need to for legal reasons. What happens if I take my name off the open register, will it affect me in any way?
You have the option of not being on the Open Register; this still leaves you on the Full Register, which is fine.

Have you recently moved to a new address?

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-registe...-open-register
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
You have the option of not being on the Open Register; this still leaves you on the Full Register, which is fine.

Have you recently moved to a new address?

Thanks, I moved house at the beginning of the year not recently it was 8 months ago and they didn't contact me then but now. My whole family got the letter too.
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks, I moved house at the beginning of the year not recently it was 8 months ago and they didn't contact me then but now. My whole family got the letter too.
It's because of the time of the year.

I've refreshed my memory as to what this is about; it's something called the annual canvass. The letters are sent out so that details can be updated before the new register is published.

It's nothing to worry about, just fill it in and return it.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
It's because of the time of the year.

I've refreshed my memory as to what this is about; it's something called the annual canvass. The letters are sent out so that details can be updated before the new register is published.

It's nothing to worry about, just fill it in and return it.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register
Ok thanks
bebsbobs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
old thread sorry to comment, but this is infuriating me because they keep on sending me letters to add all of my household on there. I registered for the referendum, however as a European citizen i actually couldn't vote (i think i can only vote in local elections or something, not sure). But i am so sick of sending them letters. None of my household can actually vote, yet they keep on sending letters for me to fill out all their details. I dont want to do that (they dont either), seems insanely invasive.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bebsbobs)
old thread sorry to comment, but this is infuriating me because they keep on sending me letters to add all of my household on there. I registered for the referendum, however as a European citizen i actually couldn't vote (i think i can only vote in local elections or something, not sure). But i am so sick of sending them letters. None of my household can actually vote, yet they keep on sending letters for me to fill out all their details. I dont want to do that (they dont either), seems insanely invasive.
It's a legal requirement for them to check that their records are up to date and that there is no one eligible to vote in the property. Just return the form following the 'no change' option. Quite often you can do this via text or a website.
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
It's a legal requirement for them to check that their records are up to date and that there is no one eligible to vote in the property. Just return the form following the 'no change' option. Quite often you can do this via text or a website.
ahh i see, thanks. Though i have a vague memory of me doing this before and then getting more letters to fill out the names of the people who cannot vote.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ahh i see, thanks. Though i have a vague memory of me doing this before and then getting more letters to fill out the names of the people who cannot vote.
From what I gather you should only have to complete the names once, then every query afterwards should just be 'no change' from you.

To be honest a lot of council services are not very well 'joined up' so you may get multiple letters even if you have returned one or advised them via other means.

My council responded to a text I sent to their automated service 38 days later saying "well, we've already had a response from you". Great jobs guys
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From what I gather you should only have to complete the names once, then every query afterwards should just be 'no change' from you.

To be honest a lot of council services are not very well 'joined up' so you may get multiple letters even if you have returned one or advised them via other means.

My council responded to a text I sent to their automated service 38 days later saying "well, we've already had a response from you". Great jobs guys
but my family don't want their info going out( at this point they're getting a little too conspiracy nut in general, but i do get the anxiety over this for some reason) Such a lame position to be in. Because i can't really do anything to avoid it, unless i want someone to show up at the door insisting we give details. But then again i hear that doesnt happen all that much
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
but my family don't want their info going out( at this point they're getting a little too conspiracy nut in general, but i do get the anxiety over this for some reason) Such a lame position to be in. Because i can't really do anything to avoid it, unless i want someone to show up at the door insisting we give details. But then again i hear that doesnt happen all that much
You can opt out of the full register, that way only the council and government have your details, (I think nowadays everyone chooses this option anyway).

As I say, it's a legal requirement for both you and the council. They have to maintain an up to date record of who is resident where.

If it helps your family's paranoia, remind them that their supermarket clubcard probably holds more data about them , (and definitely their social media if they use any).
bebsbobs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can opt out of the full register, that way only the council and government have your details, (I think nowadays everyone chooses this option anyway).

As I say, it's a legal requirement for both you and the council. They have to maintain an up to date record of who is resident where.

If it helps your family's paranoia, remind them that their supermarket clubcard probably holds more data about them , (and definitely their social media if they use any).
yeah i get that. Thanks for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (625)
48.94%

Watched Threads