Bigger engine less cylinders vs smaller engine and more cylinders.

Watch
Crazy*******1997
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Typically bigger engines usually have more cylinders but that’s not the case anymore. Some 1.5/1.6 engines only have 3 cylinders where some 1.2 engines have 4 cylinders, despite the larger engine missing a cylinder the piston size are larger than smaller 4 cylinder engine, So would the larger engine work less harder and be more refined?
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CrazyBast*rd1997)
Typically bigger engines usually have more cylinders but that’s not the case anymore. Some 1.5/1.6 engines only have 3 cylinders where some 1.2 engines have 4 cylinders, despite the larger engine missing a cylinder the piston size are larger than smaller 4 cylinder engine, So would the larger engine work less harder and be more refined?
You’re in a grey area here wherein a 3 cylinder engine would probably have more harmonic resonance issues and be less refined when it is running, due to having an uneven firing pattern and a longer stroke, however they are good at balancing this now so it is negligible in some engines. I don’t think the amount of cylinders would really change how hard it works as much as the displacement and additions such as turbocharger does.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.1%
I'm not sure (8)
3.9%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (72)
35.12%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.46%
I'm not a current university student (89)
43.41%

Watched Threads