Is it just me or does nobody speak in tutorials?

Watch
TheSagittarius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Had some Zoom tutorials this week for uni and so far, a lot of people have been really quiet and have barely spoke. It's resulted in a lot of awkward silences.

Are a lot of people nervous? Am I the only person who has saw this?
setarexhx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Same here! Lecturer keeps telling everyone to turn on video and audio and no one does!
Ahmed.S1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh ngl alot of people are quiet
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Even with the in-person tutorials pre-coronavirus I was the most talkative one which I really didn't expect
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheSagittarius)
Had some Zoom tutorials this week for uni and so far, a lot of people have been really quiet and have barely spoke. It's resulted in a lot of awkward silences.

Hi!

A lot of people in my seminars don't like talking, so the lecturer just allows us to put a message in the box at the side. To be honest this worked a lot better, as before people were just talking over each other because it wasn't clear as to whose turn it was to speak. Usually if one person starts talking/messaging everyone else will follow.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You need to just dive in ! Lots of people are worried about "getting something wrong" and losing marks, tutorials are NOT like that, it's all about stretching your ideas and testing them in public with an academic on hand to guide things along. You get much more out of it that way, and not being afraid to make a mistake and learn from it is one of those "grown up things" you really need to develop. Once you get out into the big wide world you are going to get put on the spot and asked to explain things all the time, particularly if you do an "interesting" job, consider this some early but important training.
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In-person tutorials can be like that. Virtual ones are even worse.
TheSagittarius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
You need to just dive in ! Lots of people are worried about "getting something wrong" and losing marks, tutorials are NOT like that, it's all about stretching your ideas and testing them in public with an academic on hand to guide things along. You get much more out of it that way, and not being afraid to make a mistake and learn from it is one of those "grown up things" you really need to develop. Once you get out into the big wide world you are going to get put on the spot and asked to explain things all the time, particularly if you do an "interesting" job, consider this some early but important training.
I actually do that myself, my comment was more on other people. I try to pitch in as much as I can but I don't want to answer every question, that would just make me look like a know it all. Sadly others don't seem to be engaged.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
TBH mate, the in person ones are the same there's usually one guy (typically me) who does all the talking.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi TheSagittarius

This also happens in normal seminars not online. A lot of people may not want to talk first or are worried of saying the wrong thing. Hopefully, as the term goes on things will improve.

Zaira
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.35%
I'm not sure (32)
4.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.02%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (375)
49.08%

Watched Threads