elena.gyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I was wondering the subject combination of the architecture, I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Further Maths, will this be rejected?
Thank you!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by elena.gyy)
Hi, I was wondering the subject combination of the architecture, I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Physics, and Further Maths, will this be rejected?
Thank you!
Hi there,

Looking at the entry requirements for Architecture here at Uni of Bath, there is quite a lot of detail on what subjects are preferred. The website states:

"A*AA in three A levels - Your offer can include Mathematics or Further Mathematics but not both. If you are taking a GCE A level in a science subject, you will need to pass any separate science practical endorsement". Basically, you need A*AA in 3 subjects, but if you take maths and further maths then only one can be included in your offer subjects, and thus you need a 4th A-level.

In the extra detail given, it states that they prefer applicants with high performance in Maths or Physics as the A-Level subjects, as well as "a solid grounding in Art or Design, and we prefer applicants who have studied Art or Design" at A-Level. If you haven't studied art or design, then they expects "evidence that you have substantial exposure to art and design thinking and its applications, for example through extra-curricular art work". If you haven't studied art/design at A-Level or have evidence of it as an extra-curricular, then they suggest you consider an Art foundation year prior to applying.

So, with your A-Levels you could apply to Bath and could get an offer, but you would need to have evidence of doing art outside of you A-Levels since you are not taking an art or design A-Level. I imagine this would be similar at all other good unis, as architecture requires a solid level of understanding of art and design.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
elena.gyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you! That helps a lot. It is just that sometimes unis say they prefer students with some qualities, but is this kind of ‘prefer’ really prefer, or they are basically reject students without those qualities?
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you! That helps a lot. It is just that sometimes unis say they prefer students with some qualities, but is this kind of ‘prefer’ really prefer, or they are basically reject students without those qualities?
Hi there.

Unfortunately there is no real way of answering that question. The admissions team will look at your application as a whole, not just your A-levels. Whether you will be accepted or rejected depends very much on how well you can show your understanding of what the course involves, your interest in the subject and your capability. For architecture, as Jessica said, art and design is preferred because of the high quantity of design work in the course. The likelihood of being given an offer varies year-on-year and depends on the quanitity and quality of all applicants, so there is no strict criteria for being given an offer or not.

My advice would be that if something is preferred for an application, it is strongly encouraged that your are able to demonstrate those skills and qualities as that will put you in the best position. Architecture is highly competitve and Bath has an excellent reputation for it, so the more you can do to enhance your application, the better

Do let me know if you have any further questions

Leah
Chemical Engineering Placement Student
elena.gyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks a lot! I will keep pushing myself and try to compensate my shortage as I didn’t have Art and Design.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks a lot! I will keep pushing myself and try to compensate my shortage as I didn’t have Art and Design.
Hi there,

No problem! I would definitely suggest maybe practicing your art outside of school so you have some sort of portfolio (maybe practice sketching buildings etc?). It would also be really helpful for you to do some free online courses. There's TONNES of art/design related ones for free on Skillshare, and Futurelearn has loads of courses that are free and run by universities. Doing university-ran online courses is really good for your personal statement, especially to make up for not having a certain A-Level. Uni of Bath actually offers an architecture course on Futurelearn, which you can find here. You do have the option to pay a small fee (usually around £50) to get an official certificate of completion, but this isn't really necessary.

I hope this helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.46%
I'm not sure (59)
4.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (608)
48.56%

Watched Threads