celiaeb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How do I get the best ELAT score? Looking for good tips, can't find much anywhere...
Confusedboutlife
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by celiaeb)
How do I get the best ELAT score? Looking for good tips, can't find much anywhere...
- Practice answers (doesn't have to be timed at first). Take time to PLAN!
- Spend a lot of time looking at the sample essays and see which ones did better and worse. Why do you think that is, in terms of the way the essays are structured, written? Are you surprised? Same for mark scheme: really look closely at what it is saying.

My tips:
1. Write in clear short sentences all the way through.
2. Have a very clear focus in your intro which makes a clear contrast between the two extracts (eg. extract 1's speaker confronts the storm to overcome it, extract 2's speaker avoids it). Stick to this focus for your whole essay! There's a sample essay from 2015 (?) which did the best (I think the theme was memory) that is a fantastic example of how to structure your essay. Probably best to switch between the two extracts frequently but in a controlled way.
3. Doing lots of 'alternative readings' can derail you from sticking to your focus so best to avoid.
4. Pay close attention to language features (short frequent quotes). Think about sensory language, metaphor, simile, polyptoton, ploce, anaphora, epistrophe (probs enough fancy rhetorical words, don't need to overdo it here). If you're doing a poem think about rhyme and form (I didn't learn these but being able to recognise a ballad or villanelle might help). Ditto with dialogue/ stage directions for drama. I did prose in my exam cos I didn't want to worry about this.
5. Grammatical terms are also helpful (preposition, verb, abstract noun etc).
6. Remember no marks for tropes/ historical context. ELAT isn't about generalising but being very specific!
7. Try not to be descriptive but analyse instead (using word suggest/ or implies a lot gets of you out of this issue).
8. Remember its only one part of your application, mainly used for shortlisting, so don't worry too much if things don't go perfect. I ran out of time (small intro, 2 main body paras instead of 3, conclusion) and still did well, just getting into the top band. I have friends who got 40 and made up for it with other parts of their application.
celiaeb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Confusedboutlife)
- Practice answers (doesn't have to be timed at first). Take time to PLAN!
- Spend a lot of time looking at the sample essays and see which ones did better and worse. Why do you think that is, in terms of the way the essays are structured, written? Are you surprised? Same for mark scheme: really look closely at what it is saying.

My tips:
1. Write in clear short sentences all the way through.
2. Have a very clear focus in your intro which makes a clear contrast between the two extracts (eg. extract 1's speaker confronts the storm to overcome it, extract 2's speaker avoids it). Stick to this focus for your whole essay! There's a sample essay from 2015 (?) which did the best (I think the theme was memory) that is a fantastic example of how to structure your essay. Probably best to switch between the two extracts frequently but in a controlled way.
3. Doing lots of 'alternative readings' can derail you from sticking to your focus so best to avoid.
4. Pay close attention to language features (short frequent quotes). Think about sensory language, metaphor, simile, polyptoton, ploce, anaphora, epistrophe (probs enough fancy rhetorical words, don't need to overdo it here). If you're doing a poem think about rhyme and form (I didn't learn these but being able to recognise a ballad or villanelle might help). Ditto with dialogue/ stage directions for drama. I did prose in my exam cos I didn't want to worry about this.
5. Grammatical terms are also helpful (preposition, verb, abstract noun etc).
6. Remember no marks for tropes/ historical context. ELAT isn't about generalising but being very specific!
7. Try not to be descriptive but analyse instead (using word suggest/ or implies a lot gets of you out of this issue).
8. Remember its only one part of your application, mainly used for shortlisting, so don't worry too much if things don't go perfect. I ran out of time (small intro, 2 main body paras instead of 3, conclusion) and still did well, just getting into the top band. I have friends who got 40 and made up for it with other parts of their application.
Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (191)
29.52%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.38%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.96%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.35%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.88%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.78%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.87%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads