Arianelk4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was working as a reg overseas. When I came to UK, I was downgraded to FY2 as I was new to the system. After working for 1 year, I intend to take the MRCP exam so I can get into the specialty training. I was wondering if I still need to take the 3 years of CT despite the MRCP. Can anyone help me on the matter?
Advertisement
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Arianelk4)
I was working as a reg overseas. When I came to UK, I was downgraded to FY2 as I was new to the system. After working for 1 year, I intend to take the MRCP exam so I can get into the specialty training. I was wondering if I still need to take the 3 years of CT despite the MRCP. Can anyone help me on the matter?
Maybe, maybe not.

You'll need to discuss with your Training Programme Director because this will be judged on an individual basis - most likely depending on your previous experience and how compatible it is with UK training.

P.S. MRCP does not give you a right to skip a year or two of IMT, there are FY2s who passed all parts of MRCP and they would still be required to complete core training before moving to become a specialty trainee.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 weeks ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You know the MRCP is 3 parts right? With a very low pass rate especially for IMGs? You may find you need the extra years just to pass...
Advertisement
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Arianelk4)
I am presuming you are working as a trust doctor in an f2 post? Or have you an F2 standalone.

If you are applying for a training programme, they may indeed decide to take some previous years experience into consideration, and it may place you in a different position. So it is worth talking this through with first the tutor in your trust in the dept you want to go to Or the DME. Then consider asking the local TPD of that specialty - through the deanery. If you are a current trainee, each deanery has a careers team, and they may be able to give you personalised advice.

Having the MRCP alone will not make a difference to this. It is whether they consider your time served else where.

If you are not looking for a training place, then clearly you can apply for non training posts at a different level, and it is up to those trusts as to whether they will appoint you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14.18%
I'm not sure (23)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (172)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (260)
47.88%

Watched Threads