The Student Room Group

should I go to uni?

I was supposed to begin uni in September however didn't get a place due to being given lower grades by my teachers. College was easily the worst experience I have had, my mental health has always been an issue and it is impacted especially by education related pressure and loneliness.

On one hand I want to go to uni and have the social uni experience, make new friends, get more job prospects etc. and I do think I would enjoy it but on the other hand I barely made it through college; I was seriously considering dropping out before lockdown started.

Would my mental health be too much of an issue for university? I'm currently working a minimum wage job and I love it, I wouldnt want to work it forever but I'm able to feel normal and relax a lot more than I can in other places.
Im in a similar position and decided to do a gap year because uni is lonely and tough on your mental health
Reply 2
Original post by hello9612
Im in a similar position and decided to do a gap year because uni is lonely and tough on your mental health

yes I'm on a gap year at the moment, I'm retaking exams for 2 subjects next month and honestly that's already difficult enough. I have no idea what course I would do at uni. I've been considering going to uni in a few years as a mature student once I'm more financially stable and have a better idea at what I want to do
Original post by aerey
yes I'm on a gap year at the moment, I'm retaking exams for 2 subjects next month and honestly that's already difficult enough. I have no idea what course I would do at uni. I've been considering going to uni in a few years as a mature student once I'm more financially stable and have a better idea at what I want to do

That sounds good tbf but try and research as many courses as possible during this year u might find one you really like by surprise! You can dm me if you want to talk more about gap years
Reply 4
Original post by hello9612
That sounds good tbf but try and research as many courses as possible during this year u might find one you really like by surprise! You can dm me if you want to talk more about gap years

thank you!
Original post by aerey
I was supposed to begin uni in September however didn't get a place due to being given lower grades by my teachers. College was easily the worst experience I have had, my mental health has always been an issue and it is impacted especially by education related pressure and loneliness.

On one hand I want to go to uni and have the social uni experience, make new friends, get more job prospects etc. and I do think I would enjoy it but on the other hand I barely made it through college; I was seriously considering dropping out before lockdown started.

Would my mental health be too much of an issue for university? I'm currently working a minimum wage job and I love it, I wouldnt want to work it forever but I'm able to feel normal and relax a lot more than I can in other places.

The best advice you will ever hear listen carefully, the best job in the world is your own business, creating a business with a good ideas will make you rich, working for another person won't make you rich. but in the current climate without a degree most people won't give you the time of day and you will have less flexibility.

my suggestion, go to university and choose a subject that gives you a job you can enjoy, when you go university, join lots of society's and especially sports society your social life will be amazing.

apply for student loans for living out and other stuff save what you don't spend for a start up business fund, when you finish university get a job related to your degree for 2 years save up again then take that money and use it on a business ideas you have thought of all these years. If your ideas is good and you have drive you will become a very successful person at a young age.
Original post by aerey

Hello, I just want to add that, firstly, university is a place where you can access and seek referrals to numerous mental health services. Thus, certainly, you should feel supported at the university, provided you choose the right institution for you. Finding out more information about the range of services offered at different universities (for example by speaking to current students and academics at events such as Open Days) would certainly help you to make more informed choices about your future study & career plans.

However, at the same time, studying at university can be challenging at times, and thus, it is ok to start a year, of few years later, when you feel more mentally ready. Your mental health should always be a priority, and thus it may be worth speaking to a professional about what is the best study & work plan for you at this present time.

I hope it all works out for you :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending