Does anyone else feel homesick at university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello.

Before I came to uni I thought I would be able to cope with being alone since I'm used to it and am relatively independant but now I'm here and I don't have my parents (whom I'm really close with) and I'm not that close with my flatmates, I do feel a little homesick if I'm honest. Does anyone else feel/had felt this way too?

I do know someone who is in the same city so I meet up with her too and I would say we're good friends, but she does have a bf so I don't want to always disturb her and rely on her (I don't want to be too annoying). I have joined societies and met a few people but because it's all online, it is definitely harder than before...sometimes I can't help but cry.

I don't know who to tell and talk to so I thought I'd put a post on here to make me feel better. Thanks for reading.
ranishaasiimwe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello.

Before I came to uni I thought I would be able to cope with being alone since I'm used to it and am relatively independant but now I'm here and I don't have my parents (whom I'm really close with) and I'm not that close with my flatmates, I do feel a little homesick if I'm honest. Does anyone else feel/had felt this way too?

I do know someone who is in the same city so I meet up with her too and I would say we're good friends, but she does have a bf so I don't want to always disturb her and rely on her (I don't want to be too annoying). I have joined societies and met a few people but because it's all online, it is definitely harder than before...sometimes I can't help but cry.

I don't know who to tell and talk to so I thought I'd put a post on here to make me feel better. Thanks for reading.
Hello i can help you what university are you at and what city are you in
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hello.

Hi there!

Starting university can be very daunting and during a pandemic, even more so, so it's totally understandable! So many other people will be feeling the same way as you, so you're not alone. It's amazing to hear you have joined societies and meet up with someone in the same city as you, you're trying your best and putting in effort to meet people which is fab

Just wanted to ask how you're doing now and if you feel more settled?

I wish you all the best of luck!

Becky
Rain Thorn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hello.

Hello there. Im a second year and even now I get homesick, especially in these times. I was very independent from my parents but moving to a big city for university was daunting and scary, and remaking friends was something I was terrified of doing! It became worse this year as Im living away from my fiance. It gets easier especially if you maintain contact with your family. Try voice chatting every other day or video calling weekly and figure out when you can visit when it is covid safe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads