How am I meant to revise

Watch
MonsterExamran
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I have just started a-levels and have already had 2 tests in Chemistry and Biology. In GCSE I used to just be able to read through a chapter of biology and use revision cards and I would remember it. But for these tests I have done awfully, so am wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good revision technique. Thank you!

rayestar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Memorise the mark scheme
MonsterExamran
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayestar)
Ah yes that will help me
Yes that will help me remember things for my A-levels
josie71202
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I use mindmaps and revision cards
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MonsterExamran)
So I have just started a-levels and have already had 2 tests in Chemistry and Biology. In GCSE I used to just be able to read through a chapter of biology and use revision cards and I would remember it. But for these tests I have done awfully, so am wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good revision technique. Thank you!
Hello, I have previously studied both Chemistry and Biology A Levels, and thus I am happy to share some of my study/exam tips for doing well in those two subjects. Firstly, I would recommend to make your own concise study resources - I have personally preferred to do them digitally throughout the year, so that they were easy to update! You can actually do revision cards digitally too, if this is something that worked for you in the past . Secondly, make sure that you practice applying what you have covered in your revision notes, to actual exam questions. Try to do this without looking at your notes, as this will be a good indication of how much material you have actually absorbed, rather than just became familiar with through re-reading. I would again answer exam questions digitally, keeping your first answer, and then creating your own model answer by improving the first one, by consulting with a mark scheme and your revision notes. Make sure that the model answer is always something that you could actually write in the time limit that you will be given in the exam, and that it is something that you fully understand. Thirdly, you might also find it useful to create your own glossary of key terms for the different modules in Biology and Chemistry. Knowing the key definitions is key, and you will often lose a lot of marks if you do not include those correctly in your answers - thus making glossary for each topic could really help! Lastly, if you are still finding the revision for those two subjects very difficult, and if you are not getting the exam results you want, then speaking to your teachers about it, is the best thing you can do! They may be able to give you some useful guidance on how to maximize the number of marks you get in your exam papers, by for instance clarifying where and why you have previously lost marks.

I hope this helps you out at least a bit. Let me know if you have any questions

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Physics and maths tutor is pretty good to practice exam technique
MonsterExamran
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps)
Hello, I have previously studied both Chemistry and Biology A Levels, and thus I am happy to share some of my study/exam tips for doing well in those two subjects. Firstly, I would recommend to make your own concise study resources - I have personally preferred to do them digitally throughout the year, so that they were easy to update! You can actually do revision cards digitally too, if this is something that worked for you in the past . Secondly, make sure that you practice applying what you have covered in your revision notes, to actual exam questions. Try to do this without looking at your notes, as this will be a good indication of how much material you have actually absorbed, rather than just became familiar with through re-reading. I would again answer exam questions digitally, keeping your first answer, and then creating your own model answer by improving the first one, by consulting with a mark scheme and your revision notes. Make sure that the model answer is always something that you could actually write in the time limit that you will be given in the exam, and that it is something that you fully understand. Thirdly, you might also find it useful to create your own glossary of key terms for the different modules in Biology and Chemistry. Knowing the key definitions is key, and you will often lose a lot of marks if you do not include those correctly in your answers - thus making glossary for each topic could really help! Lastly, if you are still finding the revision for those two subjects very difficult, and if you are not getting the exam results you want, then speaking to your teachers about it, is the best thing you can do! They may be able to give you some useful guidance on how to maximize the number of marks you get in your exam papers, by for instance clarifying where and why you have previously lost marks.

I hope this helps you out at least a bit. Let me know if you have any questions

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely give them a go and see how they work for me and I really hope that these can get me into a better way of learning. Thank you!!!
MonsterExamran
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily~3695)
Physics and maths tutor is pretty good to practice exam technique
I will check them out thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.35%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.46%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.01%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.39%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.92%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.88%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.9%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads