Report Thread starter 1 month ago
All sorted out now
Last edited by KawsarAhm; 4 weeks ago
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It sounds like you have earned yourself a CIFAS marker for doing something which you must have known was dodgy - money laundering. This will stay with you for the next 6 years I am afraid.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KawsarAhm)
Hi. I am a 17-year-old student in a very severe situation. Around August (during lockdown) these twins that used to come to my secondary told me that they would need to place in a large sum of their personal money into my account for a while. In return, I would get some money back. They just required my details in which I handed in. The first time I. done it was was with a friend and it was successful. we both had a clean £200 each. The second time was not so successful. I was told to meetup with someone in Westfield and i gave the guy a card. We confirmed that we were both sent by the twins. Cool, that's done. I was told to not use my account for a while. I was given a number by one of the twins and the person on the other end started to message me. They told me to log into my account and it was blocked. They started to stop messaging until i asked if i should contact the bank. They said no as this whole thing was illegal which caused me to panic.

I then went into a Santander branch to find out that my account was blocked and I am now unable to bank with them again. They explained that the person was carrying out fraud. Ive tried to apply to Natwest who have rejected me. I have then tried to apply for Monzo which refused me due to fraud. I have no idea what to do. Any sort of help would be good.
You have been a participant in fraud and I cant believe you didnt understand that as you were helping it to be carried out.
You have a cifas marker which will tell all mainstream banks to avoid you as you are an active risk of being a fraudster.
The cifas marker will last 6 years. That will include your time at uni.

You might have to explore some of the other options like prepaid card, but in general most banks wont wish to have anything to do with you.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I knew it was dodgy but I didn't know it was illegal. Im stuck trying to open a bank account with anyone. Not sure what to do as its hard at my age
Dodgy means illegal! You need to check and see if you have a cifas marker, and then sort out what to do after that. If you have got a marker, then currently you make be blocked from conventional banking for up to 6 years. You need to get on top of this and understand your situation, because it's potentially serious. Time to adult!
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Two of my other friends were doing it and one of which had received over £700. I was told that the money was from their own account. I asked where the money came from and they said it was their personal money they just had a limit on something they wanted to do. They portrayed it in a way that seemed pretty official.

Will EVERY single bank reject me?
Yes. Pretty scummy of them to involve you in their crime but then they are criminals. You could try credit unions?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How could I check?
Google is your friend
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Two of my other friends were doing it and one of which had received over £700. I was told that the money was from their own account. I asked where the money came from and they said it was their personal money they just had a limit on something they wanted to do. They portrayed it in a way that seemed pretty official.

Will EVERY single bank reject me?
You were naive and I cant believe you didnt know what you were doing was wrong.
Every mainstream bank will reject you for the next six years. Its a massive red flag to banks that you are not to be trusted. They are likely to have made extra money off you.

The nomal answer is to try Monzo but it seems even they wont touch you with a barge pole as they feel you are a fraudster and not a victim. You are ;probably going to be left with trying prepaid cards now.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

There seems to be a constant stream of naive teenagers allowing themselves to be used as money mules and earning a CIFAS mark in the process on this forum.

You need to speak with Citizens advice, but I think you’re pretty much stuck without a bank account for the next 6 years.
Last edited by Etomidate; 4 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
Taking a look at the Cifas website and steps, I'm noticing that there are three very long steps. Currently, I've applied for Monese and Starling just over an hour ago...doubt they would accept me however.

One of the first steps involved in getting the Cifas marker removed is contacting the person or company who made a report anyways. Im guessing it would be unlikely for Santander (My initial bank) to remove it right?
Is there anyone that i can contact or explain my situation to?

Also, i have no idea what a prepaid card is.
Why should sanatander remove it. Youve basically admitted you were an active participant in fraud and profited from it. Not only that you tried it a second time. What are you going to explain about the situation that would have them seeing you as innocent and a responsible person to be trusted?

There are some accounts which you give them the money and they load it onto a card for you. They charge a monthly fee or fee per transaction.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You willingly took part in illegal activities so there is a good reason that no banks will do business with you. Just be thankful you get a CIFAS marker and not time incarcerated.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi. I am a 17-year-old student in a very severe situation. Around August (during lockdown) these twins that used to come to my secondary told me that they would need to place in a large sum of their personal money into my account for a while. In return, I would get some money back. They just required my details in which I handed in. The first time I. done it was was with a friend and it was successful. we both had a clean £200 each. The second time was not so successful. I was told to meetup with someone in Westfield and i gave the guy a card. We confirmed that we were both sent by the twins. Cool, that's done. I was told to not use my account for a while. I was given a number by one of the twins and the person on the other end started to message me. They told me to log into my account and it was blocked. They started to stop messaging until i asked if i should contact the bank. They said no as this whole thing was illegal which caused me to panic.

I then went into a Santander branch to find out that my account was blocked and I am now unable to bank with them again. They explained that the person was carrying out fraud. Ive tried to apply to Natwest who have rejected me. I have then tried to apply for Monzo which refused me due to fraud. I have no idea what to do. Any sort of help would be good.
Not sure if you are trolling, but in case you aren’t;

You knew what you were doing was wrong, and you did it anyway. You did it for the free money guys promised you. You are as guilty as the fraudsters imo and you deserve that cifas/blacklisting against your name.

suck it up and just be good for next 6 years. Then when you get access to open an account again don’t be a fraudster again. Hope you’ve learnt your lesson. Crime doesn’t pay.
Last edited by boulderingislife; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow how can people be so naive...

You aren't getting a mainstream bank account any time soon.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah. Thanks for the help anyways. I just have no idea what to do about my bursary or what to do in the meantime anyways. I'll have to tell my family at one point. I think I'll start with my head of year. idk. I'll see how tomorrow goes.
I'd start with your parents- the bursary can be paid to them. You are going to be relying on them for all sorts of financial stuff now.
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi. I am a 17-year-old student in a very severe situation. Around August (during lockdown) these twins that used to come to my secondary told me that they would need to place in a large sum of their personal money into my account for a while. In return, I would get some money back. They just required my details in which I handed in. The first time I did it was was with a friend and it was successful. we both had a clean £200 each. The second time was not so successful. I was told to meet up with someone in Westfield and I gave the guy my Santander card. We confirmed that we were both sent by the twins. Cool, that's done. I was told to not use my account for a while. I was given a number by one of the twins and the person on the other end started to message me. They told me to log into my account and it was blocked. They started to stop messaging until I asked if I should contact the bank. They said no as this whole thing was illegal which caused me to panic.

I then went into a Santander branch to find out that my account was blocked and I am now unable to bank with them again. They explained that the person was carrying out fraud. I've tried to apply to Natwest who have rejected me. I have then tried to apply for Monzo which refused me due to fraud. I have no idea what to do. Any sort of help would be good.

will no bank accept me at all? I am in need of a bank account. I am going to uni after A-levels and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a bank account.
Are you being for real? What part of someone placing a large sum of money into your account actually sounds legal to you?
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
every young person opening a bank account should be required by law to pass a course about fraud and common scams.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
Are you being for real? What part of someone placing a large sum of money into your account actually sounds legal to you?
Guess some people are born thick :rolleyes:
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah, I should probably tell them the truth first. It was a joint account with my mum made long ago. ... I feel awful about it. Idk whether there was money in it or not.
Imagine if they blocked all your mum’s accounts too :eek:. Somebody’s gonna get hurt real bad : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wclEIUOhjs haha (skip to 5:25 in the vid)
Last edited by boulderingislife; 4 weeks ago
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah, I should probably tell them the truth first. It was a joint account with my mum made long ago. ... I feel awful about it. Idk whether there was money in it or not.
Congratulations, you've just ****ed her financial history too...
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Congratulations, you've just ****ed her financial history too...
Watch this haha. Reading that post by OP reminded me of this stand up by Russell peters. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wclEIUOhjs

About 5:25 in
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They just required my details in which I handed in.
I was told to meet up with someone in Westfield and I gave the guy my Santander card.
I was told to not use my account for a while.
Sorry, but it's probably best that you don't have a bank account.

I knew it was dodgy but I didn't know it was illegal.
Why didn't you check? It sounds like you didn't care, but do now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads