Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I think I was trying to be a good guy, I wanted to get my degree and work with disadvantaged children and abused animals on rehabilitation programs and maybe even build a sanctuary for animals (I have been working on this for some time).

Sadly, I couldn't pick up worse time and location to do it. I couldn't get a maintenance loan as a home student because my course started 14 days before I lived in the UK for 3 years. I couldn't apply for a maintenance loan as an EU migrant worker because of coronavirus - they did not extend my contract.

So I was thinking that I will change my course and I will do psychology as postgrad if needed. If I would start this year or change course/university, I would get a maintenance grant as a home student, but not if I would continue (crazy, right?).It was extremely naive to think that contacting student services and changing course within the university that would solve my issue would be easy. It has been 2 months and we solved nothing, it's like communicating with bureaucratic robots running on Windows 92 and you can respond only once to solve your issue, otherwise, they will start ignoring you and you have to start over again. If you try to explain everything in one email, they won't respond at all. If you call them after 14 days if you can expect any response during this century, they will answer you they resend it somewhere else where they deleted it.

This week we have almost solved it, almost. I was told that I can't transfer from psychology to zoology because I can't prove I did biology 14 years ago, which would make zero difference now and I can do foundation year or continue to struggle with psychology and they are ignoring me again .If it wouldn't take 2 months, I would try to transfer somewhere else, but it's too late now.So what now?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think I was trying to be a good guy, I wanted to get my degree and work with disadvantaged children and abused animals on rehabilitation programs and maybe even build a sanctuary for animals (I have been working on this for some time).

Sadly, I couldn't pick up worse time and location to do it. I couldn't get a maintenance loan as a home student because my course started 14 days before I lived in the UK for 3 years. I couldn't apply for a maintenance loan as an EU migrant worker because of coronavirus - they did not extend my contract.

So I was thinking that I will change my course and I will do psychology as postgrad if needed. If I would start this year or change course/university, I would get a maintenance grant as a home student, but not if I would continue (crazy, right?).It was extremely naive to think that contacting student services and changing course within the university that would solve my issue would be easy. It has been 2 months and we solved nothing, it's like communicating with bureaucratic robots running on Windows 92 and you can respond only once to solve your issue, otherwise, they will start ignoring you and you have to start over again. If you try to explain everything in one email, they won't respond at all. If you call them after 14 days if you can expect any response during this century, they will answer you they resend it somewhere else where they deleted it.

This week we have almost solved it, almost. I was told that I can't transfer from psychology to zoology because I can't prove I did biology 14 years ago, which would make zero difference now and I can do foundation year or continue to struggle with psychology and they are ignoring me again .If it wouldn't take 2 months, I would try to transfer somewhere else, but it's too late now.So what now?
Ask them how much biology they want.
You could try doing a biology A level or a science access course, which has no maintenance but comes from a different funding pot.

Talk to UKcisa first and see if they come up with anything. They are the ones to take an overview of your situation as it seems to have gone from one disaster to another and when you make a decision it seems to have been the wrong one.

I would have transferred away last year when you were having all the issues. The moment you enrol then that means things become very difficult to change. Psychology really isnt worth it.

Student Advice Line on +4420 7788 9214 which is open at the following times:

Monday to Friday (except for public holidays): 1.00pm to 4.00pm (UK time)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It's really difficult to communicate with them, but on their website is A-level biology C. If I would take an equivalency test, it would be enough and since I used one year of student finances, I wouldn't be able to do a foundation year even if I would want to, right?

I spoke with UKcisa and they told me that I could have applied for a maintenance loan even the last year because I have been living and working in Wales for more than a year before I started my course and there was a link between the job I did and the degree I wanted to do.

I don't know if changing course from psychology to forensic psychology would help me to get the maintenance loan or they would say I did it only to get the maintenance loan, plus I am kind of sick of psychology, especially after everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads