Advice on tuition fee loans returning to Uni

Watch
scottyfocus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help!

I have been getting some conflicting information regarding what student finance i am eligible for...

This is the situation.

I went to uni in 2008. left after my first year.

Now i want to go back to a different uni. However i am being told that i will have to pay for year 1 of my course. The degree is a three year or four year course (with placement). Obviously i want to do the placement.

I have rang student finance today and they have told me i am only eligible for 3 more years of tuition fee loans. This seems at odds with the gov.uk website which claims: full length of course + 1 year minus length of previous study. So in my case, the course is 4 years, add one year = 5 then minus the 1 year i have already studied = 4 years of student finance i should be able to get.

One other thing, i applied for the open uni a couple of years ago but pulled out before i started. When i have spoken to Student finance they have me down as 2 years (1 year back in 2008, and 1 year open uni) i have challenged them on this and they have accepted i have only claimed one year of student finance, however i am concerned they are saying i am only eligible for 3 years due to the extra year on my record, if that makes any sense! haha

Sorry for the essay.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by scottyfocus)
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help!

I have been getting some conflicting information regarding what student finance i am eligible for...

This is the situation.

I went to uni in 2008. left after my first year.

Now i want to go back to a different uni. However i am being told that i will have to pay for year 1 of my course. The degree is a three year or four year course (with placement). Obviously i want to do the placement.

I have rang student finance today and they have told me i am only eligible for 3 more years of tuition fee loans. This seems at odds with the gov.uk website which claims: full length of course + 1 year minus length of previous study. So in my case, the course is 4 years, add one year = 5 then minus the 1 year i have already studied = 4 years of student finance i should be able to get.

One other thing, i applied for the open uni a couple of years ago but pulled out before i started. When i have spoken to Student finance they have me down as 2 years (1 year back in 2008, and 1 year open uni) i have challenged them on this and they have accepted i have only claimed one year of student finance, however i am concerned they are saying i am only eligible for 3 years due to the extra year on my record, if that makes any sense! haha

Sorry for the essay.
Post it on here but from your explanation then I can only see you having used 1 year of student finance.
That would mean degree + 1 just goes to degree+0.
Degree+0 is the length of a degree, hence you should be covered.
Ask them where this second year is coming from.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
Ask here but I believe they are wrong and you should ask them to explain by calculation where they believe you have claimed more than one year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed