Can I start a law degree with less than satisfactory a level results?

Watch
Ihellow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, I'm 18 years old and have recently received my a level results which were a bit of a disaster. Although I passed all three (literature, english language, photography). I didn't apply to universities last year as my college didn't allow me. I would quite like to pursue a career in law or achieve a degree in this subject and I was wondering if there is any possibility a university would accept me as a student. I would also appreciate if anyone knows of anything I can do to 'bulk up' my application. I'm an avid reader and quite practical so I feel I could more than carry the subject matter, I just need a way to prove it. I would also appreciate any recommendations of universities which prioritise mental health as this was a large reasoning for my poor academic past. Many thanks x
Kerzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What were the results of your A Levels?
Ihellow
Rep:
?
CCD which really hurts to admit. I feel I would have done much better if I had sat the actual exams but refrained from resits as I wasn't in a great place mentally.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can't work out what the grades needed for this would be, but I would wonder whether a good match for you would be Law with a Foundation Year. Note what it says on eligibility.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...=LLB&year=2021

https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...021#admissions
Ihellow
Rep:
?
Thank you, I'll definitely look into foundation year courses. I just hope that my current grades will be enough
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ihellow)
Thank you, I'll definitely look into foundation year courses. I just hope that my current grades will be enough
Would you have a preference for a University in a particular part of the country?
EU Yakov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ihellow)
Hello, I'm 18 years old and have recently received my a level results which were a bit of a disaster. Although I passed all three (literature, english language, photography). I didn't apply to universities last year as my college didn't allow me. I would quite like to pursue a career in law or achieve a degree in this subject and I was wondering if there is any possibility a university would accept me as a student. I would also appreciate if anyone knows of anything I can do to 'bulk up' my application. I'm an avid reader and quite practical so I feel I could more than carry the subject matter, I just need a way to prove it. I would also appreciate any recommendations of universities which prioritise mental health as this was a large reasoning for my poor academic past. Many thanks x
my instinct was to say that there will always be a low ranked, financially troubled institution that will be willing to take you on simply by virtue of having sat A-levels at all. most unis are desperate for students, especially in this climate

if you want to go to a semi-decent uni, you will have to do a foundation year or an access to he diploma. details can be found online. just keep in mind that you will have to put down the CCD and that it will probably restrict the kind of legal employers you will be able to apply to in the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise