amyharryhollie
Badges: 4
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm applying to do Primary Education and did a school placement from Oct 2019-Feb 2020 as part of L3 BTEC Childcare. During lockdown I home schooled my younger sister who was in year 2, do you think I could write about home schooling her during lockdown in my personal statement or is this too flimsy to include?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by amyharryhollie)
I'm applying to do Primary Education and did a school placement from Oct 2019-Feb 2020 as part of L3 BTEC Childcare. During lockdown I home schooled my younger sister who was in year 2, do you think I could write about home schooling her during lockdown in my personal statement or is this too flimsy to include?
Hi Amy,

First of all have you signed up for The Get into Teaching Programme?

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

This is a completely free service for those with a degree who would like to enter the teaching profession. We provide expert advice, all our advisors are ex-teachers, on writing personal statements and, the full teacher training application process.
Kind regards
Meg @ Get into Teaching
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by amyharryhollie)
Hello amyharryhollie :^_^: In my opinion I'd say yes to including those in your Personal Statement, as long as you can justify *exactly* what you were able to gain from it and explain how it is relevant. Don't just say "I home schooled during lockdown" and leave it at that - tell us what you learned from the experience and how you were able to grow/develop your skills as a future teacher. If you can't create a meaningful dialogue around what you got out of this then I'd say skip it out. I'd say your school placement is certainly relevant though and could be enough on it's own!

Definitely check out the resources from Get Into Teaching as well, they'll be a great help throughout your application process :hugs:

Best of luck with it!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.37%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (13)
14.61%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
19.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.24%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.71%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.98%

Watched Threads