The Student Room Group

I need advice on alevels

So at the moment, I'm in a tough and annoying position. I currently am doing 2 A-levels. I recently had done my UCAS exams for year 12, I got an A for computer science, and A for product design, however, got a very low grade for geography and had been forced to drop the subject. I currently don't know what to do. I thought about taking a gap year to study maths, as i would've liked to do computer science at royal holloway, nottinham or kings for example. Can anyone help me please.
Computer science is very competitive. I had a look at a few uni entry requirements, and top ones want AAA. You're going to need three A-levels, unless you go to a much lower tier university that goes off ucas points alone. Maths is essential at some, not at others. I would take a gap year and study a third a-level, unless there's a foundation course
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by historynerd47
Computer science is very competitive. I had a look at a few uni entry requirements, and top ones want AAA. You're going to need three A-levels, unless you go to a much lower tier university that goes off ucas points alone. Maths is essential at some, not at others. I would take a gap year and study a third a-level, unless there's a foundation course

Hmm yeah, but do you think I'll be able to self study A LEVEL maths? and which maths should i take? edexcel? aqa? legacy maths? Im not sure.
Original post by Mellowkkm
Hmm yeah, but do you think I'll be able to self study A LEVEL maths? and which maths should i take? edexcel? aqa? legacy maths? Im not sure.

Genuinely don't know what's best for you. Plenty don't require maths specifically, depends on the uni you want of course so check out entry requirements on them.
Taking maths as a private candidate is possible, I have no experience in it though so maybe make a new post in the a-level forum about it if that's your plan
Reply 4
ahh okay thanks

Quick Reply

Latest