UnhappyJuice
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Helloo!

So I'm applying for university for 2021 entry at some point in the coming months. I've actually just dropped out of my current course as I realised the course and the university just weren't for me, and in the current climate, my mental health was suffering all around so I wasn't in the right mind frame to continue studying.

The course I chose (Korean studies at UCLan) just wasn't for me, so I was looking at more psychology/criminology/applied psychology courses and a course that has really intrigued me is Law with Criminology LLB at Birmingham City University. However I have a few concerns about applying for university again this year.

1) I am SO scared of having the same feeling next year - that the course is wrong and that I need to leave again.
2) I've never thought about Law before - My family might think I am choosing too quickly.
3) I have no idea what other courses I could consider as I want to stay closer to home (Birmingham,Coventry,Leicester Unis only).
4) I wont get in without resitting at least one A-Level as the grades they are asking for are BBC and I currently have BCC.

I have two options I could possibly choose which would be to:

A) Resit my psychology A-Level (my CAG grades were downgraded too) to try to get a B to get the minimum requirements.
B) Apply without resitting my A-Level and rely on the requirements being lowered due to postcode etc. (I don't know if they offer this)

A foundation year is NOT an option as SFE will not fund me as my "gift year" has already been used up, apparently.

Any advice would be AMAZING as I'm a first generation uni student in my whole family so they don't have much advice or knowledge on this! Please help!
gracelrobineon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i have no knowledge on those particular unis but i would look at their contextual offers (if your college/sixth form counts as being underprivileged etc) they may offer you a place with the grades you have. or if you want to do a foundation year you could look at scholarships (you are the first generation and some scholarships only require that), otherwise i would recommend contacting the uni first asking if they will give you an offer with those grades if your personal statement is good and if not i would recommend you resit one. it would be a waste if you apply again and don’t even get a space!
FTheOpps
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
stop overthinking and pick something you want to do **** what anyone else thinks
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by FTheOpps)
stop overthinking and pick something you want to do **** what anyone else thinks
I absolutely agree, but thats kind of what I did the first time round and look what happened there haha, I just want to be more careful this time and make sure this is definitely what I want.
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by gracelrobineon)
i have no knowledge on those particular unis but i would look at their contextual offers (if your college/sixth form counts as being underprivileged etc) they may offer you a place with the grades you have. or if you want to do a foundation year you could look at scholarships (you are the first generation and some scholarships only require that), otherwise i would recommend contacting the uni first asking if they will give you an offer with those grades if your personal statement is good and if not i would recommend you resit one. it would be a waste if you apply again and don’t even get a space!
definitely what I was thinking! if they offered contextual offers, I would probably be able to get in as I got a contextual offer for many of my original 2020 choices due to my postcode and my sixth form. I'd rather not resit an a-level due to being out of action for a while but if I do have to, I definitely will resit
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What was the problem this time. Did you start just now 2020
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
What was the problem this time. Did you start just now 2020
The course and university were just not for me. I didn't like the course as I thought I would and I didn't like the uni atall. It was the closest and only viable option I had. Also with the whole pandemic, the threat of not being able to go home and see my family really impacted my mental health so I decided that university wasn't something I could do and keep my mental health in good shape, so I've decided to go next year instead.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UnhappyJuice)
The course and university were just not for me. I didn't like the course as I thought I would and I didn't like the uni atall. It was the closest and only viable option I had. Also with the whole pandemic, the threat of not being able to go home and see my family really impacted my mental health so I decided that university wasn't something I could do and keep my mental health in good shape, so I've decided to go next year instead.
How long were you there for? It cannot have been very long. You do seem to make very rash decisions. I am not judging by the way but would have thought you might have given it a bit more of a go. Surely you have until Jan to choose a new uni and course so do as much research as you can about course and uni. Re the A level ring the uni and ask. Also re gift year can you not just pay SFE back the money.
tipexmaster25
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You've got some time between now and January tbf, but just think- is that enough time for you to decide on a degree which will (at least partly) shape your future? Not a rhetorical question, everyone works at different paces so it's something you've gotta decide. I might be understanding you wrong, but it seems like you're not really certain exactly which direction you want to go in- that's ok, just definitely pick a subject you think you will enjoy. It's just that Korean studies and law are quite different- do you think you would benefit from waiting for this year and applying for 2022, which would give you the time to (1) resit you psychology a level and get a better grade, and (2) do a bit of volunteering and work experience to help you find what your interests are and what job you might want to have. You could always do another degree later in life if this one doesn't end up being your true passion, but it's expensive and way less hassle to do it the first time around.

If you do decide to apply this year though, make sure you have a read of the modules and prospectuses for the unis you're applying to, hopefully if you find a few really interesting topics it will motivate you to keep studying, even if you do have days which make you question if it's the right choice. And, its defo worth emailing the admissions team at the unis to see if your grades would be accepted, and if you're eligible for a contextual offer. Good luck tho, hope you find something you really enjoy
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
How long were you there for? It cannot have been very long. You do seem to make very rash decisions. I am not judging by the way but would have thought you might have given it a bit more of a go. Surely you have until Jan to choose a new uni and course so do as much research as you can about course and uni. Re the A level ring the uni and ask. Also re gift year can you not just pay SFE back the money.
Haha, I agree that i could've given it more of a go but I just knew that the course wasn't for me and as someone who suffered with severe social anxiety as a young teenager, only having 2-4 face to face classes per week makes it extremely easy to just go back to isolating myself (not on purpose, its just my destructive nature) so it just wasn't enough. I am planning on paying back my maintenance loan as I received it only a few days ago but apparently I will still have to pay back 25% of my tuition fee regardless of if I drop out now or if I drop out in 3 months time. Just wanted to save myself my mental health and leave now as I knew I wouldn't enjoy it.
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by tipexmaster25)
You've got some time between now and January tbf, but just think- is that enough time for you to decide on a degree which will (at least partly) shape your future? Not a rhetorical question, everyone works at different paces so it's something you've gotta decide. I might be understanding you wrong, but it seems like you're not really certain exactly which direction you want to go in- that's ok, just definitely pick a subject you think you will enjoy. It's just that Korean studies and law are quite different- do you think you would benefit from waiting for this year and applying for 2022, which would give you the time to (1) resit you psychology a level and get a better grade, and (2) do a bit of volunteering and work experience to help you find what your interests are and what job you might want to have. You could always do another degree later in life if this one doesn't end up being your true passion, but it's expensive and way less hassle to do it the first time around.

If you do decide to apply this year though, make sure you have a read of the modules and prospectuses for the unis you're applying to, hopefully if you find a few really interesting topics it will motivate you to keep studying, even if you do have days which make you question if it's the right choice. And, its defo worth emailing the admissions team at the unis to see if your grades would be accepted, and if you're eligible for a contextual offer. Good luck tho, hope you find something you really enjoy
You absolutely have a point! I don't really want to wait until 2022 and I plan on working for the year and what not. I was already looking at alternative degrees before even going to university (always a bad sign) and I already narrowed it down to applied psychology or criminology and law. I fell in love with psychology at A-Level and definitely had moments of regret for not applying for psychology related degrees instead (probably also a bad sign!).

Before getting into my a-levels I'd already decided on Korean as I fell in love with the culture and the country - so I thought I would always want to do that kind of course without even giving a second look at any other degree. In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best idea. So once applications for 2020 rolled around, I was already knee deep in applying to Korean courses, writing a personal statement surrounding that particular subject and I'd not looked at anything else. I also worried about disappointing my family and making them worry for me if I did such a U-turn on what I wanted to pursue so suddenly (although I am doing that now, probably too late!), as they were all so excited for me to become a teacher or translator I was constantly convincing myself that I made the right choice for me, even though at night after results and before results I was sitting on my phone scrolling through the degrees I'm looking at now. Feeling in my heart that I'd made a huge mistake.

I feel like looking at the degrees I actually know I would enjoy rather than taking a gamble on something I think I would enjoy, the choices are much more clearer and easy to understand. I basically ignored every instinct that I was wrong and as I look at these courses I feel much more excited and definitely less tense about going to university next year!
FTheOpps
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I absolutely agree, but thats kind of what I did the first time round and look what happened there haha, I just want to be more careful this time and make sure this is definitely what I want.
you havent got time in life to sit down and carefully plan everything - take risks where necessary and it might take you places you never imagined
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Helloo!

So I'm applying for university for 2021 entry at some point in the coming months. I've actually just dropped out of my current course as I realised the course and the university just weren't for me, and in the current climate, my mental health was suffering all around so I wasn't in the right mind frame to continue studying.

The course I chose (Korean studies at UCLan) just wasn't for me, so I was looking at more psychology/criminology/applied psychology courses and a course that has really intrigued me is Law with Criminology LLB at Birmingham City University. However I have a few concerns about applying for university again this year.

1) I am SO scared of having the same feeling next year - that the course is wrong and that I need to leave again.
2) I've never thought about Law before - My family might think I am choosing too quickly.
3) I have no idea what other courses I could consider as I want to stay closer to home (Birmingham,Coventry,Leicester Unis only).
4) I wont get in without resitting at least one A-Level as the grades they are asking for are BBC and I currently have BCC.

I have two options I could possibly choose which would be to:

A) Resit my psychology A-Level (my CAG grades were downgraded too) to try to get a B to get the minimum requirements.
B) Apply without resitting my A-Level and rely on the requirements being lowered due to postcode etc. (I don't know if they offer this)

A foundation year is NOT an option as SFE will not fund me as my "gift year" has already been used up, apparently.

Any advice would be AMAZING as I'm a first generation uni student in my whole family so they don't have much advice or knowledge on this! Please help!
Don't rush to decide - you have several months before you need to put in an application. Read about the course modules to see what you will study.

Put your A levels into this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer to see what course you could do.

Then you can search to see which unis you have the grades for here; https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/courses:)
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You absolutely have a point! I don't really want to wait until 2022 and I plan on working for the year and what not. I was already looking at alternative degrees before even going to university (always a bad sign) and I already narrowed it down to applied psychology or criminology and law. I fell in love with psychology at A-Level and definitely had moments of regret for not applying for psychology related degrees instead (probably also a bad sign!).

Before getting into my a-levels I'd already decided on Korean as I fell in love with the culture and the country - so I thought I would always want to do that kind of course without even giving a second look at any other degree. In hindsight, that probably wasn't the best idea. So once applications for 2020 rolled around, I was already knee deep in applying to Korean courses, writing a personal statement surrounding that particular subject and I'd not looked at anything else. I also worried about disappointing my family and making them worry for me if I did such a U-turn on what I wanted to pursue so suddenly (although I am doing that now, probably too late!), as they were all so excited for me to become a teacher or translator I was constantly convincing myself that I made the right choice for me, even though at night after results and before results I was sitting on my phone scrolling through the degrees I'm looking at now. Feeling in my heart that I'd made a huge mistake.

I feel like looking at the degrees I actually know I would enjoy rather than taking a gamble on something I think I would enjoy, the choices are much more clearer and easy to understand. I basically ignored every instinct that I was wrong and as I look at these courses I feel much more excited and definitely less tense about going to university next year!
Whatever you do dont rush the decision. You need to get it right. As far as fees how much will you have to pay back. It might prove more sensible to pay say 2300 back than lose a years finance. Look to see if you can get a job and pay it back or consider a loan.

Whilst many universities offer higher grades they usually accept lower. I know someone who was accepted with actual BCD this year for Geography at Leicester. Lower grades arent guaranteed and due to the numbers of students applying next year things may be different but certainly this has been the case in past years. It is quite likely that you will get offers from the likes of Coventry, De Montford and Aston with your grades.

Take your time and look into what the course involves and whether you would enjoy that university. The equal consideration deadline isnt until January so you can take 2 months thinking it over. In practice, most courses accept you if you apply after the January deadline anyway.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha, I agree that i could've given it more of a go but I just knew that the course wasn't for me and as someone who suffered with severe social anxiety as a young teenager, only having 2-4 face to face classes per week makes it extremely easy to just go back to isolating myself (not on purpose, its just my destructive nature) so it just wasn't enough. I am planning on paying back my maintenance loan as I received it only a few days ago but apparently I will still have to pay back 25% of my tuition fee regardless of if I drop out now or if I drop out in 3 months time. Just wanted to save myself my mental health and leave now as I knew I wouldn't enjoy it.
Well I do not think this year at uni is going to be much fun for anyone and also see you have made the right decision for you.Good luck with the new plans.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surely the course had barely started so it was too early to know if you would like it or not - I'm guessing the real issue is that you didn't like being away from home so now you know you are better suited to a uni close to home. And there's nothing wrong with that - everyone's different.

I would consider retaking the Psychology A level in the summer (and possibly the other C subject too) because you have a year to improve one grade so should be able to do it easily and it will be something positive to come out of your year out. Having said that, you will probably find that if you apply to BBC courses with BCC you will still get unconditional offers from Coventry and Leicester - Birmingham are probably stricter. The issue is more to do with jobs after uni as for law related careers, grades really do count. Even if you are not interested in working in law, I would still "retake" at least the psychology A level.

Take some time to think about the courses carefully and attend some open days, even if they are only virtual. There is no hurry to apply as everyone who applies by January 15th gets equal consideration.
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
Well I do not think this year at uni is going to be much fun for anyone and also see you have made the right decision for you.Good luck with the new plans.
Thankyou! I'm very excited about them!
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Surely the course had barely started so it was too early to know if you would like it or not - I'm guessing the real issue is that you didn't like being away from home so now you know you are better suited to a uni close to home. And there's nothing wrong with that - everyone's different.

I would consider retaking the Psychology A level in the summer (and possibly the other C subject too) because you have a year to improve one grade so should be able to do it easily and it will be something positive to come out of your year out. Having said that, you will probably find that if you apply to BBC courses with BCC you will still get unconditional offers from Coventry and Leicester - Birmingham are probably stricter. The issue is more to do with jobs after uni as for law related careers, grades really do count. Even if you are not interested in working in law, I would still "retake" at least the psychology A level.

Take some time to think about the courses carefully and attend some open days, even if they are only virtual. There is no hurry to apply as everyone who applies by January 15th gets equal consideration.
The course at UCLan had started a bit earlier than most unis start, so I'd attended a few classes and a few inductions and I knew that it just wasnt for me. Also definitely the fact I was so far away was also a factor which is okay because the unis near me are quite decent.

I looked at Coventry uni in particular and the grade boundaries there are even too high for what I've got. BCU seem to be much more around my grade area, even if I resit.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The course at UCLan had started a bit earlier than most unis start, so I'd attended a few classes and a few inductions and I knew that it just wasnt for me. Also definitely the fact I was so far away was also a factor which is okay because the unis near me are quite decent.

I looked at Coventry uni in particular and the grade boundaries there are even too high for what I've got. BCU seem to be much more around my grade area, even if I resit.
What grades universities ask for and what they accept tend to be very different and it is worth looking at universities offering different ranges. You have 5 choices so you can afford 2 or 3 risky ones. If they reject you then you still have the 2 or 3 with lower grades. Looking at what you would like you could try a range say Leicester, De Montford, Aston, Coventry and Birmingham City. I suspect Birmingham and Warwick will be out of reach.
UnhappyJuice
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
What grades universities ask for and what they accept tend to be very different and it is worth looking at universities offering different ranges. You have 5 choices so you can afford 2 or 3 risky ones. If they reject you then you still have the 2 or 3 with lower grades. Looking at what you would like you could try a range say Leicester, De Montford, Aston, Coventry and Birmingham City. I suspect Birmingham and Warwick will be out of reach.
Yess, I was not planning on applying to UoB atall as even if i resit, I probably would not reach their grades so BCU is probably going to be a main choice.

I wasn't really considering Coventry as I live here, so I wouldn't be able to have the experience of living away from home like I would if I was going to a Birmingham based uni. Obviously, living away from home didn't work so well when in Preston but I will be much closer and I believe I will have different feelings towards it this time next year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.48%
I'm not sure (58)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (607)
48.56%

Watched Threads