erisericsson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At which stage (primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary) is protein a polymer and why?

I'm a student who's a bit confused since I've been taught that protein in primary stage is only a polypeptide.
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by erisericsson)
At which stage (primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary) is protein a polymer and why?

I'm a student who's a bit confused since I've been taught that protein in primary stage is only a polypeptide.
All proteins have primary, secondary and tertiary structures but quaternary structures only arise when a protein is made up of two or more polypeptide chains. The folding of proteins is also driven and reinforced by the formation of many bonds between different parts of the chain.

The primary structure of a protein refers to the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain.

Proteins are polymers made out of amino acids. So, proteins are polymers of amino acids.

A protein may be made up of 1 polypeptide chain, in which case the stage that the protein is a polymer is tertiary.

A protein may be made up of 2 or more polypeptide chains, in which case the stage that the protein is a polymer is quaternary.

Collagen, hemoglobin, antibodies, and enzymes are examples of proteins.
Last edited by Bagarigak; 1 month ago
erisericsson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Bagarigak)
All proteins have primary, secondary and tertiary structures but quaternary structures only arise when a protein is made up of two or more polypeptide chains. The folding of proteins is also driven and reinforced by the formation of many bonds between different parts of the chain.

The primary structure of a protein refers to the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain.

Proteins are polymers made out of amino acids. So, proteins are polymers of amino acids.

A protein may be made up of 1 polypeptide chain, in which case the stage that the protein is a polymer is tertiary.

A protein may be made up of 2 or more polypeptide chains, in which case the stage that the protein is a polymer is quaternary.

Collagen, hemoglobin, antibodies, and enzymes are examples of proteins.
Ah thank you so much !!
Bagarigak
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by erisericsson)
Ah thank you so much !!
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.1%
I'm not sure (59)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (386)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed