success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As you know you pick 5 options. I have my 5. I am planning on becoming a biomedical scientist.
4 of my courses are biomedical science and 1 is biological science because I’d want to teach. I’d make my mind up at the end of the 4 years as to whether I want to work in the nhs or team biology.

But- I don’t like learning about animals really do biological science wouldn’t work for me.
I’d love to go to Bristol it’s my dream university.
But I want to stay at home. The 5 choices I can drive to.
Which is why I haven’t changed it just yet.
The problem is-I do study at Bristol university I’d have to live in accommodation at the uni. Fair enough but how would I afford it.
It’s like so expensive per week (I’d rather live in a hotel lmaoo)
But it will work out at around 13,000 with all expenses included. I just don’t know what to do. My heart is set on this but I am wondering how I can do this.
I don’t mind getting into the debt as long as I can pay it back -or if I’m not eligible to pay it back anyway then it doesn’t matter. But what do I do?
I will pay the Tuition fees as soon as I get them or even put them into a separate account so I don’t spend it.
But it’s living that’s my issue generally living lol. I plan on getting a job but that could take months!!
Any tips
Torigracex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all, your tuition fees (usually £9,250) are paid from Student Finance England (or whichever country you’re from in the U.K.) straight to the university, you never see that money. I’m assuming you’re applying for the first time having not done a degree yet, so are you aware you get a maintenance loan? The amount depends on your parent’s income and ranges from around £4k minimum to about £9k maximum, and sometimes you can apply for more. This is for accommodation and living costs, and some unis will provide bursaries. Have you looked at private accommodation around bristol, or just the unis own halls of residence? Private student accommodation can work out a LOT cheaper than the unis own halls of residence, so if you haven’t looked into that, you probably should do. Hope this helps!
Cubcub99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why do you want to stay at home? If you are allowed to you should move out, otherwise it's a limited experience and making friends is a lot tougher. Plus you won't get the independence you need really. Defo go to Bristol!! it's a top notch uni and you want to have the best uni experience possible, university is not the same as college or sixth form, you're meant to be more adult and live outside your parent's house. My friends who lived at home had a *****er, more boring uni experience x
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Torigracex)
First of all, your tuition fees (usually £9,250) are paid from Student Finance England (or whichever country you’re from in the U.K.) straight to the university, you never see that money. I’m assuming you’re applying for the first time having not done a degree yet, so are you aware you get a maintenance loan? The amount depends on your parent’s income and ranges from around £4k minimum to about £9k maximum, and sometimes you can apply for more. This is for accommodation and living costs, and some unis will provide bursaries. Have you looked at private accommodation around bristol, or just the unis own halls of residence? Private student accommodation can work out a LOT cheaper than the unis own halls of residence, so if you haven’t looked into that, you probably should do. Hope this helps!
Unfortunately, private accommodation is far more expensive. But it is a key area!
I’m entitled to £9,250 maintenance loan but I’m unsure on whether will cover me in its entirety.
Need to get me a sugar daddy
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by success4life)
Unfortunately, private accommodation is far more expensive. But it is a key area!
I’m entitled to £9,250 maintenance loan but I’m unsure on whether will cover me in its entirety.
So you're entitled to the maximum maintenance loan and don't think that will be enough lmao? I had to live on about £4000 less when I lived in London. Look for cheaper places to live and get rid of the luxury lifestyle you'll apparently be living.
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ignoring the last statement, presumably you are resident in Wales, of your maximum maintenance loan is the same as the tuition fee?
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cubcub99)
Why do you want to stay at home? If you are allowed to you should move out, otherwise it's a limited experience and making friends is a lot tougher. Plus you won't get the independence you need really. Defo go to Bristol!! it's a top notch uni and you want to have the best uni experience possible, university is not the same as college or sixth form, you're meant to be more adult and live outside your parent's house. My friends who lived at home had a *****er, more boring uni experience x
I will get the independence because I am getting my own flat away from home but not at uni. I don’t want to live there.
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ramipril)
So you're entitled to the maximum maintenance loan and don't think that will be enough lmao? I had to live on about £4000 less when I lived in London. Look for cheaper places to live and get rid of the luxury lifestyle you'll apparently be living.
No i don’t. I’m not wanting the luxuries but I’ve worked out all my finance including the bills and accommodation and it will come to 12,000 because the accomodation is so expensive.
I’ve also compared it with an app too and I plan on not paying thag much for food per month-people don’t think I’ll live off it. So that’s why it’s so expensive all due to the Cost of living there. Even private accodation
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isinglass)
Ignoring the last statement, presumably you are resident in Wales, of your maximum maintenance loan is the same as the tuition fee?
No I’m not. I live in England not wales. I can get that for living away but outside of London
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No i don’t. I’m not wanting the luxuries but I’ve worked out all my finance including the bills and accommodation and it will come to 12,000 because the accomodation is so expensive.
I’ve also compared it with an app too and I plan on not paying thag much for food per month-people don’t think I’ll live off it. So that’s why it’s so expensive all due to the Cost of living there. Even private accodation
Try harder at looking for cheaper accommodation. I have friends who lived and studied in Bristol and none of them were spending £12k a year even with the bank of mum and dad. Even in London I don't know anyone who got up to £12k between accommodation and bills and transport and general day-to-day living.

How much is your accommodation?
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No I’m not. I live in England not wales. I can get that for living away but outside of London
I hate to break it to you, then, but you will have to shave £47 off your annual budget (maximum living away from home outside London is £9203 in England). I assumed Wales, because I believe the figure for Welsh residents is £9250, but with the amount to be taken as a loan rather than as a grant varying according to household income.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're struggling to budget, then you need to find cheaper accommodation. This sounds way to expensive for a student. If you don't want to change, then you might need to get a job on the side.
success4life
Rep:
?
Try harder at looking for cheaper accommodation. I have friends who lived and studied in Bristol and none of them were spending £12k a year even with the bank of mum and dad. Even in London I don't know anyone who got up to £12k between accommodation and bills and transport and general day-to-day living.

How much is your accommodation?
There accommodation is £200 a week
Ramipril
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There accommodation is £200 a week
Yeah, either get cheaper accommodation or get a job :lol:
success4life
Rep:
?
Yeah, either get cheaper accommodation or get a job :lol:
It’s a joke. I’ve had a look and got the official number 7000 for the 45 weeks
It says. I’ll be getting a job but they are so cruel to students
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
If you're struggling to budget, then you need to find cheaper accommodation. This sounds way to expensive for a student. If you don't want to change, then you might need to get a job on the side.
I’ve looked on the web at its 7000 for the 45 weeks!! Crazy
success4life
Rep:
?
The accomodation £7000 for the 45 weeks. It’s crazy!!
2500_2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The accomodation £7000 for the 45 weeks. It’s crazy!!
Why are you only considering the premium room options? You can choose the options that are less than £5k a year instead? http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...Fees-20-21.pdf
Then you'd be pretty close to the maintenance grant on your budget and some saving this year or a very part-time job would enough?
2500_2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As you know you pick 5 options. I have my 5. I am planning on becoming a biomedical scientist.
4 of my courses are biomedical science and 1 is biological science because I’d want to teach. I’d make my mind up at the end of the 4 years as to whether I want to work in the nhs or team biology.

But- I don’t like learning about animals really do biological science wouldn’t work for me.
I’d love to go to Bristol it’s my dream university.
But I want to stay at home. The 5 choices I can drive to.
Which is why I haven’t changed it just yet.
The problem is-I do study at Bristol university I’d have to live in accommodation at the uni. Fair enough but how would I afford it.
It’s like so expensive per week (I’d rather live in a hotel lmaoo)
But it will work out at around 13,000 with all expenses included. I just don’t know what to do. My heart is set on this but I am wondering how I can do this.
I don’t mind getting into the debt as long as I can pay it back -or if I’m not eligible to pay it back anyway then it doesn’t matter. But what do I do?
I will pay the Tuition fees as soon as I get them or even put them into a separate account so I don’t spend it.
But it’s living that’s my issue generally living lol. I plan on getting a job but that could take months!!
Any tips
Do note if you stay at home your maintenance grant is reduced.
success4life
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 2500_2)
Why are you only considering the premium room options? You can choose the options that are less than £5k a year instead? http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...Fees-20-21.pdf
Then you'd be pretty close to the maintenance grant on your budget and some saving this year or a very part-time job would enough?
It’s the other Bristol university. They are giving me the prices of the accomodation and I’m looking at them. I need the cheapest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.21%
I'm not sure (59)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (375)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.82%

Watched Threads