Who pos repped me?

Me.
EndangeredSpecies
Me.

Thanks.
Must have been worth a lot.
Reply 43
Was there really need for that Jonny?

Anyway, I am not sure how anyone could know that moral courage is rare in GENERAL. Wouldn't you have to do a survey across the world or something? Or could he have been talking about "mainstream" moral courage? Like what is in the news or whatever. "Official" news or happenings around the world do not record everything down.

If I have taken this out of context, then please...call me stupid :biggrin:
Reply 44
Couldn't you argue that moral courage isn't actually rarer than physical courage, but just harder to define and show tangibly. In the sense that someone jumping into a river to save a child makes an interesting story, and can be understood by all as bravery, someone holding strong to their belief that i don't know war is always wrong doesn't make half as exciting reading, and also it can be seen by many people as stupidity or narrow mindedness rather than courage. In a sense we can only recognise moral courage as being such if we share the same moral ground as them; ie we think that what they are sticking up for is actually morally right. Because in one sense, one could argue that people such as Hitler, Mao and Lenin displayed great moral courage in the sense that they took highly unpopular (and in my eyes immoral) steps to create the 'perfect societies' for their people; they stuck with their belief systems all the way through...
Reply 45
JonathanH
Must have been worth a lot.

The value of pos rep is in the implication of solidarity and not how many gems it gives you, surely?

Oh, but then some place more value on evidence of assumed popularity rather than appreciation of a post . :rolleyes:
yawn
The value of pos rep is in the implication of solidarity and not how many gems it gives you, surely?

Oh, but then some place more value on evidence of assumed popularity rather than appreciation of a post . :rolleyes:

What moral courage Yawn!:smile:
yawn

I, unlike you perhaps, place some value on the quality of those who are standing in solidarity with me. And people with multiple red gems are probably not those you want on your side.
JonathanH
I, unlike you perhaps, place some value on the quality of those who are standing in solidarity with me. And people with multiple red gems are probably not those you want on your side.

You want to be on the side of the powerful that means. Like those who supported the Iraq invasion.:smile:
Reply 49
JonathanH

I see value in the individual at that time, not on the assumed 'quality' of those with many green gems, since this does is not necessarily any indication of their sincerity.

But then, I have moral courage. :wink:
naivesincerity
You want to be on the side of the powerful that means. Like those who supported the Iraq invasion.:smile:

Er? I was pointing out that support for your view from some troll wasn't exactly worth a lot.
yawn
I see value in the individual at that time, not on the assumed 'quality' of those with many green gems, since this does is not necessarily any indication of their sincerity.
Green gems may not be of value to you, but multiple red gems are indicative of a troll with views generally seen as being misguided. Who would want support from that person? Aside from someone desperately seeking validation of their views?
JonathanH
Green gems may not be of value to you, but multiple red gems are indicative of a troll with views generally seen as being misguided. Who would want support from that person? Aside from someone desperately seeking validation of their views?

I think you're taking this latest twist a little too seriously mon ami.
ElementX
Don't forget how USA bums Saudi Arabia!

Saudi Arabia! A country where no one voted for 300 years!

Yes I was aware of that. Vested interests.
It was you who started a public discussion of the rep given and then it was yawn who challenged my offhand comment about it.
Reply 55
JonathanH

You are entirely missing the point.

A person supports another's post...said person approves that post formally. Regardless of gem status, that support is not valueless to the person it is given to...unless they're of the same mind as you.

Ergo...what matters to you is apparently more bound up with self image and prestige than humaneness. That is not the sort of person that I would want to be associated with -so 'sling yer 'ook, matey' -you don't impress me none. :rolleyes:
Reply 56
JonathanH
It was you who started a public discussion of the rep given and then it was yawn who challenged my offhand comment about it.

Au contraire, JH; it was you who was the catalyst for this particular tangential aside. If you hadn't made that unkind comment this would not have developed...it would have rested at NS's thanks. Take a peek back and see for yourself. Post #43
yawn
A person supports another's post...said person approves that post formally. Regardless of gem status, that support is not valueless to the person it is given to...unless they're of the same mind as you.

A mind that doesn't value approval from just anyone but is interested in the source of the approval? That's hardly unusual.

yawn
Ergo...what matters to you is apparently more bound up with self image and prestige than humaneness. That is not the sort of person that I would want to be associated with -so 'sling yer 'ook, matey' -you don't impress me none. :rolleyes:

So your, frankly absurd, outlook is that all approval is of equal value, whomever it comes from? So if I write something and it's praised by an well-known idiot or a fascist or a racist or whatever, I should be as pleased with that as if it's from someone well-respected?
yawn
Au contraire, JH; it was you who was the catalyst for this particular tangential aside. If you hadn't made that unkind comment this would not have developed...it would have rested at NS's thanks. Take a peek back and see for yourself. Post #43

You mean the post that I am OBVIOUSLY aware of as I referenced it myself in the post you were responding to? What did you think the "offhand comment" I was referring to was?
Reply 59
What the hell are you talking about? Naivesincerity thanked endagered species and that was it. And then YOU made that comment and that sparked it off.

Latest

Trending

Trending