Coronavirus and living at uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi

I have started my second year at uni and have been back almost a whole week. I am finding the whole transition even harder than first year even though I actually have friends and good flatmates. My house that I am in has a lot of issues and even though we pester maintenance it takes ages to get each problem fixed.

The whole coronavirus situation has also made me very anxious and I worry about home a lot. Since teaching at my uni is basically entirely online I am wondering if it would be better for my mental health just to move back home and do teaching from there until face to face teaching can start again.

I am worried that if I go back too soon after coming it will make it harder to come back later but I am so uncomfortable and am struggling to sleep decent hours and spend a lot of time crying. I have been telling myself that if we end up in lockdown then I will allow myself to move back but I’m not sure how long I can wait.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I have started my second year at uni and have been back almost a whole week. I am finding the whole transition even harder than first year even though I actually have friends and good flatmates. My house that I am in has a lot of issues and even though we pester maintenance it takes ages to get each problem fixed.

The whole coronavirus situation has also made me very anxious and I worry about home a lot. Since teaching at my uni is basically entirely online I am wondering if it would be better for my mental health just to move back home and do teaching from there until face to face teaching can start again.

I am worried that if I go back too soon after coming it will make it harder to come back later but I am so uncomfortable and am struggling to sleep decent hours and spend a lot of time crying. I have been telling myself that if we end up in lockdown then I will allow myself to move back but I’m not sure how long I can wait.
You are far from alone in feeling like this but give yourself a little longer to adjust.You have been away for a long time and the Corona Updates are unsettling.But I do think students should not have been dragged back to campus it is a financial decision not a health based one,physical or mental.Give yourself another 2 weeks and then talk to your tutors if you are still unhappy.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

Hiya!

You aren't alone in how you are feeling as all students have the same worries at the moment in regards to coronavirus. However, there are small things you can do to try and control these worries and help make sure you are safe. Your university should have a site set up for how they are controlling coronavirus and what measures they are making to keep students safe so have a look at that first. Talk to your flatmates and see what you can all do collectively to stay safe, such as regular cleaning, not inviting lots and lots of people over etc.

Settling in is really important and you don't want to move out before you feel comfortable at uni as otherwise it can be really tough to move back from home. Lots of students I know have had so many problems with their uni house/flat this year and it can be a real nuisance to try and sort it all. Every day email or ring, or even walk in and visit your estate agent to discuss what you need to get sorted and also ask for updates so that you are kept in the loop. It is really frustrating as you just want everything to function where you are living so I can totally understand.

Talk with those back home for support and facetime them whenever you need to, but also be honest with your flatmates with how you are feeling as i'm sure they will be feeling very similar and will want to help you.

Best of luck at uni. Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (56)
15.69%
I'm not sure (10)
2.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (122)
34.17%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.68%
I'm not a current university student (163)
45.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed