Nobody wants to be friends with me

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve had a tough time recently making friends at uni, I’ve had constant rejection and just feel disappointed. I feel I make effort to talk and then it gets thrown in my face.

Any advice? I kinda feel hurt.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Ok so I’m yr 13 but how I think about uni is NOBODY will know me, so I don’t have to be the same as I am now (which is to nervous to actually talk to anyone to begin with) so when I’m in uni, I could in theory be as loud as I wanted and no one would know any different.
Assuming your in first year, no one really knows you so go for it, talk to loads of different people, there are so many people at uni that the people you haven’t talked to vastly outnumber the ones you have talked to.
Dubious advice I know, don’t trust this entirely, it’s just what I’m thinking at the moment
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you're living in accom, have you tried making conversation with your flatmates? mine were a bit quiet when i first arrived but we ended up talking loads more later when i had settled in. group chats are quite good too for social stuff.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve had a tough time recently making friends at uni, I’ve had constant rejection and just feel disappointed. I feel I make effort to talk and then it gets thrown in my face.

Hiya!

The first few weeks of uni are really tough in terms of settling in and making friends so keep trying as it will get easier!

If you're living with other people in a uni flat or house, ask to make a group chat with them so that you can pop in a message to go food shopping together or even to pop to wilko if you need to. Doing small things together are a good way to get to know each other, as making friends doesn't always have to revolve around drinking. try to find free things to do in your local area (museum, gallery's, parks etc) and ask your flatmates if they would like to go. Also you can use a door stop and use an open door policy where when your door is open your flatmates know that they can come in and have a chat, but when your door is shut you're having some you time. I used this in first year in my flat and it made that first meeting with my flatmates a lot easier as I was quite shy to meet them all.

Join your halls/accommodation group chat and also you course group chat as you can meet new people whilst staying up to date with your assignments! I used this a lot in my first two years of uni and would really recommend. Also, have a browse through your university's societies available and join those that take your fancy as you can then meet others who have similar interests to you. Also if you're interested in going to the gym or fitness, join classes that your uni or local gym provides so you can meet new people.

Keep trying as it will get easier. Sam- Official Student Rep
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I'm kinda going through the same thing, which uni are you at
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey!

I'm very sorry to hear this, but it's amazing to hear you've been trying your best to make friends and putting in a lot of effort. Have you thought about joining a club or society as a way to meet people with similar interests? I know I thrive better in social situations with strangers when I can chat about something I love like tv shows

Or how about becoming a student ambassador, volunteering or finding a part-time job on campus? All great ways to meet new people!

Some people meet their friends for life at uni, others don't - it's perfectly normal and okay. Everyone's uni experiences are different. I know I preferred to focus on my studies at uni and didn't really make friends!!

I wish you the best of luck with your studies and hope you meet some great people who put in the same effort as you do!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.47%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.12%

Watched Threads