Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Nobody likes me at uni and feel lonely, is it because I have ADHD? Could they be a reason?
Ramipril
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How long have you actually been at university?
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was a loner too. Don’t worry about it. Just do your own thing and you’ll eventually make a friend or two. It’ll take time to meet rare like minded people.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nobody likes me at uni and feel lonely, is it because I have ADHD? Could they be a reason?
What makes you think nobody likes you?
Having adhd is not a reason to dislike you

Are uni aware of your diagnosis? Please go talk to student support and tell them how you feel. They can help
People are scared of what they don’t understand and so sometimes it’s easier to stay away. That’s not right but often how it is.
It’s more difficult nowadays to join activities but try to find some so that you can meet a wider group of people. You’ll need to be brave and put yourself out there. Start conversations.
It may take time but I’m sure you’ll make some friends.

In the meantime I have a son with adhd and Aspergers who went through uni so if you would like to talk then please pm me anytime
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ramipril)
Just started second year
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sammylou40)
What makes you think nobody likes you?
Having adhd is not a reason to dislike you

Are uni aware of your diagnosis? Please go talk to student support and tell them how you feel. They can help
People are scared of what they don’t understand and so sometimes it’s easier to stay away. That’s not right but often how it is.
It’s more difficult nowadays to join activities but try to find some so that you can meet a wider group of people. You’ll need to be brave and put yourself out there. Start conversations.
It may take time but I’m sure you’ll make some friends.

In the meantime I have a son with adhd and Aspergers who went through uni so if you would like to talk then please pm me anytime
Hi, I think people find me annoying and they don’t reply to me. I receive DSA so the uni know about my ADHD, I also have dyslexia.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I think people find me annoying and they don’t reply to me. I receive DSA so the uni know about my ADHD, I also have dyslexia.
That says more about them than you!

i think it’s important that you talk to uni about how you’re feeling. I know it’s difficult but they will help.
my advice is always to widen your circle as much as possible to meet new people.
Im sorry you’re lonely but remember that you’re there to complete your course. With some support you’ll find it easier
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Since you succeed in entering university, your ADHD and dyslexia shouldn't be serious.
Are you in a good university? What do you major in?
By the way, are you boy or girl? Do opposite sex classmates also think you annoying?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shebk)
Since you succeed in entering university, your ADHD and dyslexia shouldn't be serious.
Are you in a good university? What do you major in?
By the way, are you boy or girl? Do opposite sex classmates also think you annoying?
I’m at an alright uni in Scotland and study tourism, none of the girls like me and it’s pretty much all girls in my class. 🙃
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ramipril)
People going on about "feeling lonely at Uni" in the first week of Uni I swear. They're stacking up like pennies in Scrooge Mc' Duck's vault!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Callicious)
People going on about "feeling lonely at Uni" in the first week of Uni I swear. They're stacking up like pennies in Scrooge Mc' Duck's vault!
I’m in second year
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Probably. I've found that *usually* if you tell someone that you have ADHD then they don't really want to converse with you anymore. I recommend not mentioning it.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m in second year
People stacking up feelin' lonely' in their second year like pennies in Scrooge Mc' Ducks vault!

(I'm a 4th year who has no one and is lonely, you have ten more years to go before you're up to my level, yare yare daze.)
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I doubt it's your ADHD, many of the coolest people have ADHD. I know it's lockdown time now but when we open up join as many different social clubs and go to events as much as you can even if they're not your thing initially. If you have online social groups right now, join them and participate, you will make friends as long as you talk and do not remain silent and ask questions about other people and pretend to be interested in them. People love to talk about themselves. Putting yourself 'out there' is the key to victory, don't remain in your safe mental bubble.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
that's me right now :confused: am i really just overthinking this? i wouldn't even say i'm particularly close to anyone in my flat yet, (i guess because i need to make more of an effort) but also because there's so many and i find it hard to get my word in, in large groups with my introverted, shy nature.

any advice? (especially with courses starting)
i just want one close friend...
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
that's me right now :confused: am i really just overthinking this? i wouldn't even say i'm particularly close to anyone in my flat yet, (i guess because i need to make more of an effort) but also because there's so many and i find it hard to get my word in, in large groups with my introverted, shy nature.

You're asking advice on how to get close (irl) friends from a guy who has no close IRL friends in 21 years, never mind in the 4 years spent at Uni so far.
Pugglet
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nobody likes me either
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

The only thing I suggest is to look at the groups and see if you can spot someone else who is at the outer edge. Try having a conversation.
You could speak to student support and ask them if anyone else has reported being lonely and if so, ask them to pass on your number. It may work, it may not but it’s worth a try
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
You're asking advice on how to get close (irl) friends from a guy who has no close IRL friends in 21 years, never mind in the 4 years spent at Uni so far.
oh...
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
The only thing I suggest is to look at the groups and see if you can spot someone else who is at the outer edge. Try having a conversation.
You could speak to student support and ask them if anyone else has reported being lonely and if so, ask them to pass on your number. It may work, it may not but it’s worth a try
there are about 4 who are less boisterous but they seem to be getting pretty close already. they do some stuff together and personally, i feel like i’d be barging in if i spend time with them (although i could try and see how it goes)

thanks for the student support idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (188)
29.24%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.02%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.93%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.91%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads