3 Masters + new application (Chevening Scholarship)

Watch
Adam_pir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

For example: if I have three master's degrees, and planning to apply for a new master's degree in the UK (or apply for Chevening Scholarship).

Is it better to mention the three previous masters, or not to mention them in the application and CV?

Is this a factor of weakness or strength when submitting the application?

Any advice, please?

Thanks in advance
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Adam_pir)
Hi,

For example: if I have three master's degrees, and planning to apply for a new master's degree in the UK (or apply for Chevening Scholarship).

Is it better to mention the three previous masters, or not to mention them in the application and CV?

One masters degree = gaining additional skills.
Two masters degrees = decided to change field, can be useful for some people.
Three masters degrees = confused student, does not know what to do in the future, treading water.
Fourth masters = waste of time, go do something different, stop "degree collecting", its not helping you get anywhere important.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Any advice, please?

Thanks in advance
As Mr Wednesday mentions, doing any more than 2 masters degrees seems unnecessary and even weird. What were your previous 3 in, and that is the 4th one you are planning on doing?

Honestly I think it will hurt your application, people will be wondering why you have likely changed field so much, but at the same time how will you explain what you did during those 3 years? Are you sure you really need another masters?
Adam_pir
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you

In my opinion, the goal of "collecting degrees" is not to change the major but to go deeper into the major,

For example, and I say, for example,

The first master was in political science and international relations
The second master was in diplomatic studies
The third master was in Middle Eastern Studies
Probably the fourth master in Israel Studies.

Are they far from each other? I don't think so!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you

In my opinion, the goal of "collecting degrees" is not to change the major but to go deeper into the major,

For example, and I say, for example,

The first master was in political science and international relations
The second master was in diplomatic studies
The third master was in Middle Eastern Studies
Probably the fourth master in Israel Studies.

Are they far from each other? I don't think so!
No, but you aren't proving anything to anyone. Eventually you have to stop collecting knowledge and do something with it. Unless you are able to pay for this yourself, funders are going to view this very negatively. If these degrees were taken over the course of 20 or so years, and fit in with a relevant career path (interest in IR from undergrad, offered position and funded by your national Diplomatic Corps or went to work for it, subsequently posted to ME, a few years later senior role in Dip Corps in a nation linked with Israel) then it makes some sense. If it's not your profession, then you are just collecting degrees and that's not appealing to funders, or small, competitive degree programmes. You aren't progressing to PhD, so you aren't useful to academia, and you aren't applying the knowledge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads