Would Criminology then a law conversion course be a good idea?

Watch this thread
KadyD
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a year 13, at the stage of picking Uni's and courses e;c.

I know i'd like to get into law/criminal justice but im unsure of which path to take.
Intially, i wanted to study law, however after speaking to teachers e;c, i've been told it wouldnt be interesting and that unless i'm particularly keen, i should take my second potential route of criminology.

Criminology seems way more interesting and something i'd genuinely enjoy, however, the jobs that come from it aren't really to my liking (probation officer e;c). For this reason, i was thinking of doing a Criminology degree and then doing a Law conversion course to open doors to things such as Commercial/criminal law.

I just wanted to ask if this would be just as sophisticated to employers as if i just got a law degree. Furthermore, any advice you have. Thankyou
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
By the time you graduate you won't need to do a law conversion course to become a solicitor, you would just take the SQE. As far as employment goes getting an undergrad in a different subject then "converting" to law (currently via the GDL, by the time you graduate by the SQE for solicitors or GDL for barristers) is not better or worse than just getting an undergraduate law degree, provided you can get a good 2:1 or a 1st in said degree and then pass all parts of the SQE.

So either way is fine. Bear in mind criminology is essentially a subdiscipline of sociology and the focus is on the societal cases of crime and how to address these at the root cause. It's not a course in e.g. "criminal profiling" or anything like that, which some seem to believe it would be.
KadyD
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
By the time you graduate you won't need to do a law conversion course to become a solicitor, you would just take the SQE. As far as employment goes getting an undergrad in a different subject then "converting" to law (currently via the GDL, by the time you graduate by the SQE for solicitors or GDL for barristers) is not better or worse than just getting an undergraduate law degree, provided you can get a good 2:1 or a 1st in said degree and then pass all parts of the SQE.

So either way is fine. Bear in mind criminology is essentially a subdiscipline of sociology and the focus is on the societal cases of crime and how to address these at the root cause. It's not a course in e.g. "criminal profiling" or anything like that, which some seem to believe it would be.
Oh okay , this makes sense- thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads