Mass of Light Watch

This discussion is closed.
MRLX69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Elpaw is right on this one. Rest Mass is constant.
Newton
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Look to be honest... We can carry on about this for ages... I do not mind... But it is only fair, in my opinion, to say that yes light, in general, does have mass.

Newton.
Newton
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)
Yes the mass does increase but it's different from the REST mass.
LOOK EVEN HE SAID IT! IT DOES HAVE MASS WHICH INCREASES!

Newton.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
I think light has mass also. But the rest mass is different from the mass travelling at 999ms^-1. That's all i'm trying to say.

I think light must have mass because it has momentum.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://www.weburbia.demon.co.uk/physics/light_mass.html

the short answer is no, light does not have mass, because it is atheistic :p:
Newton
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ponder about this will you...

Einstein's work:

m_0 is the rest mass

Newton.
Attached files
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
light does not have a rest mass
it is massless
however it has a momentum
may be hard to swallow but it's true.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by Newton)
LOOK EVEN HE SAID IT! IT DOES HAVE MASS WHICH INCREASES!

Newton.
lol, yes i did say it. But what I don't understand is that if matter is meant to have infinite mass when travelling at c, why don't light have infinite mass?

Unless energy and mass is constantly interchanging... :confused:
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by mik1a)
light does not have a rest mass
it is massless
however it has a momentum
may be hard to swallow but it's true.
I REALLY don't understand, how can something have mommentum without mass?! cool pic Newton.....hmmmmm..... *pondering*
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol, yes i did say it. But what I don't understand is that if matter is meant to have infinite mass when travelling at c, why don't light have infinite mass?
because it only has infinite mass if it has rest mass. light has rest mass 0 and therefore not infinite mass at c (look at newtons attachment, m0 = 0)
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ponder about this will you...

Einstein's work

m_0 is the rest mass

Newton.
what's to ponder? it's a relativistic transformation
mass = restmass*(1/(1-(V^2/c^2))
same with time and length contraction... whether it's true or not I'm not sure; I haven't seen it in any book I've read.
is m0 is zero then so too is m.
Newton
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh come on World... Do you not remember Einstein trying to fool the world with his "Cosmological" constant!?
Newton.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
But if light have no rest mass, how can mass increase at c when there's no mass in the first place?
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is getting to be another quack science thread. Why on earth do we have to waste out time talking about very old problems. The concept of light having momentum has been around since Maxwell's time, just look at his equations, they state that electromagnetic waves have momentum.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I REALLY don't understand, how can something have mommentum without mass?! cool pic Newton.....hmmmmm..... *pondering*
Because p=mv only applies for v<<c
this has already been said before

And what does the cosmological constant have to do with anything?
There is a lot of experimental evidence for relativity
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
This is getting to be another quack science thread. Why on earth do we have to waste out time talking about very old problems. The concept of light having momentum has been around since Maxwell's time, just look at his equations, they state that electromagnetic waves have momentum.
Why can't we just debate about it for ourselves? :aetsch:

I'm reading some of maxwell's things at the moment... I'm getting a good idea of why light has momentum but no rest mass..... but it's all very odd
Newton
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes but then is that not because all of E-M waves are made out of photons... This will just keep going around in circles...

Newton.
jpowell
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, it isn't because light is made of photons. The momentum of light can be derived using purely classical physics.

Sorry to say this MRLX69, but there isn't much here to debate. There is only stuff that you can learn. I can teach you the modern ideas about light, that they have no rest mass but momentum, I could even show you how to classically derive the momentum of an electromagnetic wave. But you cannot really debate it, as it is all stuff that has been figured out a long time ago.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by AntiMagicMan)
No, it isn't because light is made of photons. The momentum of light can be derived using purely classical physics.

Sorry to say this MRLX69, but there isn't much here to debate. There is only stuff that you can learn. I can teach you the modern ideas about light, that they have no rest mass but momentum, I could even show you how to classically derive the momentum of an electromagnetic wave. But you cannot really debate it, as it is all stuff that has been figured out a long time ago.
yea... I just read it up, lol......

By the way, light isn't made of photons. It's just a model.
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Have you not read what I just said if for relativistic quantaties dealing with particles travelling at the speed of light p=(E/c) and E=m(c^2) then p=mc=mv but v=c.

He mislead the world. What evidence except that of light bending during an eclipse, in the 1920s I think.

Newton.
same to you. It was said before that
E=mc^2 is a simplification in the special case when v=0

there is also new evidence, read a physics magazine or something, the theory predicts the mass of the earth will cause a drag in spacetime which was detected a few months ago on a satellite. there have been numerous testings of special relativity, including equivalent atomic clocks, one on a fast moving plane and one on the ground. the clocks did not agree after the experiment. and then there was the michleson-morley experiment that did away with the ether, the opposition theory.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.07%
Yes - they're famous (285)
25.36%