Anyone else struggling to find a part time job?

Watch
Loreto2018
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've been applying to loads of jobs over the past year and now i'm going into my 2nd year of uni and i've still had no luck getting one. I keep getting rejected due to my lack of experience. I've even applied to the low end jobs where it's less competitive such as Mcdonald's and Amazon but I still get rejected or don't hear back for several months. I feel so dejected cause this is going to be so damaging to my future career prospects and there's literally nothing I can do about it. Yes I know most people get a job during college/sixth form but I just could not balance it with my A levels. Now I'm really struggling to get anywhere especially since most people my age would already have atleast 3 years of experience whilst I just have a bit of volunteering work. Anyone have any advice?
concernedLMAO
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Loreto2018)
I've been applying to loads of jobs over the past year and now i'm going into my 2nd year of uni and i've still had no luck getting one. I keep getting rejected due to my lack of experience. I've even applied to the low end jobs where it's less competitive such as Mcdonald's and Amazon but I still get rejected or don't hear back for several months. I feel so dejected cause this is going to be so damaging to my future career prospects and there's literally nothing I can do about it. Yes I know most people get a job during college/sixth form but I just could not balance it with my A levels. Now I'm really struggling to get anywhere especially since most people my age would already have atleast 3 years of experience whilst I just have a bit of volunteering work. Anyone have any advice?
Care work is probably the easiest job to get, might be worth trying that.
Agencies are worth a try if you don't need guaranteed hours.
You should be following up to hear the outcome of your interview, especially at minimum wage jobs where admin is crap.
Also getting accepted for these sort of things don't really indicate anything about how successful you'll be in a graduate career, they are not judging you based on your personality, work ethic, skills, intelligence etc it's largely based on how many hours you want to work, how flexible you are and how likely you are to move on quickly and uni students do poorly in all of these.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
Care work is probably the easiest job to get, might be worth trying that.
Agencies are worth a try if you don't need guaranteed hours.
You should be following up to hear the outcome of your interview, especially at minimum wage jobs where admin is crap.
Also getting accepted for these sort of things don't really indicate anything about how successful you'll be in a graduate career, they are not judging you based on your personality, work ethic, skills, intelligence etc it's largely based on how many hours you want to work, how flexible you are and how likely you are to move on quickly and uni students do poorly in all of these.
Care work? Is this like looking after older people etc? Where do i apply? Also do you think they would hire anyone without any experience? And yeah i have been calling them and all they keep saying is to keep checking my emails and they will get back to me soon, but they never do!
concernedLMAO
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Care work? Is this like looking after older people etc? Where do i apply? Also do you think they would hire anyone without any experience? And yeah i have been calling them and all they keep saying is to keep checking my emails and they will get back to me soon, but they never do!
Yes. Agencies (nurseplus, QScare) or homes if you want regular hours. They will hire absolutely anyone, experience doesn't matter much since there just aren't enough people willing to do it.
expensivegurl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Checking in with pretty much all the dependants, doesn’t have to be old. Try calling up care homes near you, chances are they’re looking for someone. They always are!
Fresher18
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you looked to see if your students union are hiring or the university will often have their own student recruitment agency for their jobs whether its bar, cafe, catering or even guides for tours or open day helpers these are designed to be flexible and are easier to get than other work, its a good way to build up experience even if its not in a relevant field.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
Yes. Agencies (nurseplus, QScare) or homes if you want regular hours. They will hire absolutely anyone, experience doesn't matter much since there just aren't enough people willing to do it.
Thanks a lot for that, ill give them a call!
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fresher18)
Have you looked to see if your students union are hiring or the university will often have their own student recruitment agency for their jobs whether its bar, cafe, catering or even guides for tours or open day helpers these are designed to be flexible and are easier to get than other work, its a good way to build up experience even if its not in a relevant field.
With the current Covid situation, my students union have gone online so they're not hiring atm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads