What A-Level Combination Do I Apply For?

Watch
natashaemillie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The application form for the college I want to go to came out today and needs to be handed in early October - problem is at the bottom of the application you have to put the subjects you want to study in order of preference and I’m stuck?

I want to go on to study law at a Russel Group uni - but apparently a-level law isn’t very well regarded so I’ve basically dropped the idea of that. The subjects I’m considering are English Literature, Philosophy, Politics and Economics.

As for economics - I bloody hate graphs and simply cannot get them right in GCSE science so do I have no hope at a-level? I’m relatively alright at maths, predicted an 8 I think.
Philosophy I’m interested in as I absolutely love philosophical conversations and ideas etc BUT if it’s similar to RS or filled with religious content then that’s a huge shame, I actually dropped GCSE RS two days ago because I hate it so much and find it so incredibly dull.

Politics I feel like would be great for law and just generally getting a good idea about how our country is run etc but is it not very well respected by unis? I don’t want to take a combo of subjects seen as an “easy way out” but also taking too many hard subjects will completely throw me probably.
I think English Literature I’m probably going to have to take - I don’t particularly like it at GCSE (the books are so boring, lord of the flies and a merchant of venice) but I need a facilitating subject I feel and also it’s reccommended to take either history or english lit and I don’t think I’d do well remembering content at history a-level as I can barely do it at gcse.

Any advice? Thanks
Caitlin.mccann
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A Level Law is not needed and honestly you would just be redoing the same content so good you dropped that.English lit you have to love, you have to read so much and many books, even if they are boring you have to learn to love it.I do Politics and it is purely content based. There are crossovers between law and Politics so it probably would help you.Economics you do have to draw some graphs but there is quite a bit of maths too.Philosophy is seen as a lesser A Level in some unis but if its what you enjoy then I would say do it because its better to do an A Level which you love and would do well in than another one.I think the 4 you chose would do very well by any uni standard honestly. Just do what you enjoy really.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Caitlin.mccann)
..... if its what you enjoy then I would say do it because its better to do an A Level which you love and would do well in than another one.I think the 4 you chose would do very well by any uni standard honestly. Just do what you enjoy really.
completely agree with this !!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads