isilv14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I was offered Biomedical science at Anglia Ruskin University and wanted to know what their course is like.

Things like the workload,amount of lectures, labs and typical hours in a teaching week.

Also if anyone else has information on other Universities Biomedical course that would be useful.

Thanks 😊
Casojbiomed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by isilv14)
Hi guys,

I was offered Biomedical science at Anglia Ruskin University and wanted to know what their course is like.

Things like the workload,amount of lectures, labs and typical hours in a teaching week.

Also if anyone else has information on other Universities Biomedical course that would be useful.

Thanks 😊
Hey!

I am starting my second year in a Biomedical Science at NTU and I’d be happy to help answer your questions!

During my first year, the course wasn’t too intense, a lot of the material we learnt was a recap of A level Biology with extra theory on top and this was done to ensure that all of the students are on the same level of understanding as students come from different backgrounds whether they studied A levels or went to college etc.

I had 6 hours of labs a week, 8-10 hours of lectures a week and maybe 2-4 hours of seminars so my weeks averaged at 20 contact hours! The workload was pretty consistent with having to write up lecture notes, stay on top of lab protocols and the seminars associated with them.

With regards to labs, we did a range of practicals such as growing yeast to work out the generation time to studying slides under microscopes to count how many cells were in a volume of solution! We did various biochemical tests and learnt how to use some basic lab equipment such as the pipettes and spectrophotometer. Obviously, this is a vague overview of what we did! Although the labs are key to gaining experience, there’s a lot of skills you learn outside of the lab such as scientific writing etc.

In terms of coursework, there were 6 modules in year one of which there was an exam for each module which I did spring 2020 and various written courseworks such as laboratory reports and essays. I wouldn’t say that altogether it was too hard, you just have to manage your time well and make sure you prioritise your workload.

Now that I am starting year 2, we are going to start learning more about certain aspects such as clinical biochemistry and microbiology, metabolism, pathopharmocology and Biomedical Science in practice.

I hope you find this helpful and please don’t hesitate to ask more questions!
isilv14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you Casojbiomed, the information you gave was a big help.
Epl103
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hello, I am currently in my first year studying Biomedical sciences at ARU. For first trimester I have 4 hours on campus which is a mix of practicals and learning. Then I have 2 online lectures for each course maths, core biology, cell biology and biochemistry and human anatomy and physiology, these range from 1-2 hours. you can have lectures anytime between 9AM-8PM. As for the workload, it depends how well you manage your time, if you stay on top of the work you won't have any issues with the workload. however you are slipping behind or overwhelmed you get 1hour sessions with your personal tutor each week where you can speak about what you're struggling with. The staff are really understanding and supportive if you just ask for help, they always have time to listen to you and find the right solution for you. In terms of assessment you have a range from quizzes with MCQ and normal questions to essays and in class tests. For the first 3 weeks the don't count towards the final grade. From week 4 onwards they do count 5-10% (for quizzes and questions) hopefully this helped if you need anything else I am on the ARU unibuddy feel free to message me there thank you x
isilv14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Epl103, thanks for the information- now I will be able to decide fully aware of what the course is like
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise