doing gcse and access to medicine for 2021 entry

Watch
qqewrty1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
if i wanted to study medicine in 2021 but dont have required gcse grades or alevels.
im hoping to do an access course for medicine along with November Gcse resits to compensate for my bad grades.
the thing is that the deadline to apply for Medicine is in October, like two week before i even resit my gcses.
so ill be submitting my grades and whatnot and theyll see the bad gcses instead of the retook gcse grades.
what should i do in this situation? will i have to wait for 2022 or what lol
Last edited by qqewrty1; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by qqewrty1)
if i wanted to study medicine in 2021 but dont have required gcse grades or alevels.
im hoping to do an access course for medicine along with November Gcse resits to compensate for my bad grades.
the thing is that the deadline to apply for Medicine is in October, like two week before i even resit my gcses.
so ill be submitting my grades and whatnot and theyll see the bad gcses instead of the retook gcse grades.
what should i do in this situation? will i have to wait for 2022 or what lol
They may see the calculated grades anyway and would definitely see any exams you had actually sat as you are required to list a complete record.

Are you sure you have the ability to get the grades? Some unis are more serious about GCSE than others.

Are you going to get AAA at A level or nearly all distinctions at Access?

Be warned if you do access course then only a small % of applicants make it and they tend to be linked closely to the local NHS trust and as a qualification they dont travel well for medicine plus they prefer A levels.
You will also need to do UKcat and have the relevant experience.

Imo you are being unrealistic for 2021. Post on the Medicine section.
Qqwrty1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Isn’t it strange tho that they aren’t as good as alevels- seeing as they are specifically designed for medicine . As opposed to a levels which are teach you other stuff as well which may be irrelevant
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Qqwrty1)
Isn’t it strange tho that they aren’t as good as alevels- seeing as they are specifically designed for medicine . As opposed to a levels which are teach you other stuff as well which may be irrelevant
There not meant to be.
Its a 1 year intensive course designed for mature student.
A-levels are designed as a direct progression from GCSE.

Apples and peers my friend.
If your under 19 you should be doing A-levels if your over 19 you should consider an Access course.
qqewrty1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by adam271)
There not meant to be.
Its a 1 year intensive course designed for mature student.
A-levels are designed as a direct progression from GCSE.

Apples and peers my friend.
If your under 19 you should be doing A-levels if your over 19 you should consider an Access course.
im a mature student- im in my 20s, but im just not sure about theyll let me do it- if they dont ill rather go abroad than waste a year. ive emailed them all and a lot of them havent replied
Tw1x
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
im a mature student- im in my 20s, but im just not sure about theyll let me do it- if they dont ill rather go abroad than waste a year. ive emailed them all and a lot of them havent replied
In the grand scheme of things wbat is a year if its going to get you where you want to be? I agree with the above you are taking on a massive work load. Do you have any work experience?
qqewrty1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
yes ive done a month in a care home, though i am getting older now and really hate the idea of delaying anything anymore
Tw1x
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yes ive donue a month in a care home, though i am getting older now and really hate the idea of delaying anything anymore
One year will absoluty fly by. I recommend to take more time as if you are cramming too much in you may not achieve the gradesyou need/deserve and many med schools won't accept resots so its worth making sure you put the time aside to do it properly and give it 100%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads