hiilikesushi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hi , Im picking all humanities for a levels and I need to pick a science as a plan b .. would psychology count?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some universities do see Psychology as science. It really does depend on the university.

It won’t get you into a science course on its own if that’s what you are asking. You will need a ‘hard’ science from Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 3 weeks ago
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Generally, it's not held to be a science, but you should contact the admissions teams of the universities you want to apply to and ask them if it's sufficient.
holaseñor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hiilikesushi)
hi , Im picking all humanities for a levels and I need to pick a science as a plan b .. would psychology count?
What unis are you applying for? It's a wierd one because it's kind of a science but also like a social science. What uni(s) do you want to go to? I want to go to UCL to do psychology and I know it's very 'scientific' there, but not sure about other unis
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's generally not considered a science, but you should check the websites of the universities you're considering.
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's a social science, not a hard science like bio/chem. It's on the same branch as political science, anthropology etc
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My uni it's classed as science, it's a BSc. I think that the difference is that it is stats heavy. However, they also offer the same modules as a BA, so doesn't make much sense to me.
From what I've seen at some other unis, some place less emphasis on stats, which would put it with sociology in the arts dept.
Psychology was a social science at A level but wouldn't get you into any of the 3 hard sciences.
Hope that made some sort of sense.
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
a lot of universities now class a “science” subject to be: maths/fm, bio, chem, physics, psychology or geography. *depending on the course you’re applying for.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by holaseñor)
What unis are you applying for? It's a wierd one because it's kind of a science but also like a social science. What uni(s) do you want to go to? I want to go to UCL to do psychology and I know it's very 'scientific' there, but not sure about other unis
- most universities count psychology as as science (including UCL)
- I got into UCL psych with psych as my online science A-level
- if the degree is BPS accredited, it will be quite science heavy wherever you go (some more so than others, I believe UCL is quite up there with its neuroscience heavy course)
Plain1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
- most universities count psychology as as science (including UCL)
- I got into UCL psych with psych as my online science A-level
- if the degree is BPS accredited, it will be quite science heavy wherever you go (some more so than others, I believe UCL is quite up there with its neuroscience heavy course)
We have neuroscience too, I actually forgot about that.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by plainjayne1)
We have neuroscience too, I actually forgot about that.
sorry I meant psych degree but with neuroscience heavy elements!
Plain1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
sorry I meant psych degree but with neuroscience heavy elements!
That's what I meant. Haha. I do psych with neuroscience and stats. I forgot, we haven't gone back yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (188)
29.24%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.49%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.02%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.93%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.91%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.91%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.11%

Watched Threads