siena27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello! Can anyone tell me more about what UCL/London university life is like? I am torn between UCL and St Andrew's (I know, polar opposites). I really like the diversity of universities like UCL but I'm unsure about whether living in London is for me...any opinions/experiences from students in London?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends on what sort of person you are. If you like nightlife then London is probably the better option. I'm studying at UCL and that sort of thing doesn't really appeal to me so I'm not keen on London at all. Some things I don't like are that you can't see the stars at night and the air quality is bad, especially in the tube (although not a problem if you don't have to commute far) and the lack of greenery does make you depressed if you're from the country... UCL is overrated in my opinion - compared to most other universities its campus is cramped and overcrowded and the facilities are nothing special. UCL has a sort of alienating feeling - there's no real sense of "community" there, perhaps it's due to the "diversity" you mentioned, although I'm not sure other universities are different. University is definitely more lonely than school. London is a lonely place.
St Andrews sounds nice to me, but it's far from pretty much everywhere unless you're from Scotland.
yusurfer2001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It depends on what sort of person you are. If you like nightlife then London is probably the better option. I'm studying at UCL and that sort of thing doesn't really appeal to me so I'm not keen on London at all. Some things I don't like are that you can't see the stars at night and the air quality is bad, especially in the tube (although not a problem if you don't have to commute far) and the lack of greenery does make you depressed if you're from the country... UCL is overrated in my opinion - compared to most other universities its campus is cramped and overcrowded and the facilities are nothing special. UCL has a sort of alienating feeling - there's no real sense of "community" there, perhaps it's due to the "diversity" you mentioned, although I'm not sure other universities are different. University is definitely more lonely than school. London is a lonely place.
St Andrews sounds nice to me, but it's far from pretty much everywhere unless you're from Scotland.
Do you know what cost of living is like?

Maybe it doesn't even matter with COVID now but I'm worried if I'll have to work to support myself while studying...

I don't live that far from the campus - like suburbs of London - but would prefer to live out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads