MSc Psychology - which one to pick?

Watch
Rkum2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I have been accepted by a few schools for the MSc Psychology conversion course (online). Would anyone be able to advise on which of the following would be the best one - my criteria is quality of the course, and workload. I know Leicester, and Essex are more expensive than the rest so that is a consideration too. Thank you for any inputs:
- Brunel
- Northumbria
- Leicester
- Essex
- Derby
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rkum2003)
Hello everyone, I have been accepted by a few schools for the MSc Psychology conversion course (online). Would anyone be able to advise on which of the following would be the best one - my criteria is quality of the course, and workload. I know Leicester, and Essex are more expensive than the rest so that is a consideration too. Thank you for any inputs:
- Brunel
- Northumbria
- Leicester
- Essex
- Derby
© 2020 University of Essex Online. All rights reserved.
University of Essex Online courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning.

Kaplan, Inc. is an American for-profit corporation that provides blah blah blah

In other words: Run Away!

Other than that I would go to Leicester. If this is for 2021 entry I would also apply to Glasgow (if you can afford this one) and Strathclyde. Otherwise Leicester looks fine! Between ex-polys: Northumbria.
Rkum2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sentenced_to)
© 2020 University of Essex Online. All rights reserved.
University of Essex Online courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning.

Kaplan, Inc. is an American for-profit corporation that provides blah blah blah

In other words: Run Away!

Other than that I would go to Leicester. If this is for 2021 entry I would also apply to Glasgow (if you can afford this one) and Strathclyde. Otherwise Leicester looks fine! Between ex-polys: Northumbria.
Thank you - this is really helpful. I had no idea about Essex! Strathclyde looks great - will put in an application. Will work with the options you recommend - I REALLY appreciate this.
Just 1 questions : Why is Northumbria still considered among poly options? Does it make it less-than in any way? Am not from the UK hence all these questions.
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you - this is really helpful. I had no idea about Essex! Strathclyde looks great - will put in an application. Will work with the options you recommend - I REALLY appreciate this.
Just 1 questions : Why is Northumbria still considered among poly options? Does it make it less-than in any way? Am not from the UK hence all these questions.
I am not from the UK either even though I was a student there for some time. There seems to be a certain stigma among ex-polys (hence the reduced tuition fees compared to other universities). Justified or not I don't know. What I know is that some of them are good universities, like Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes etc.

In any case, If you find a course that you like the Curriculum, is accredited by the BPS and is not delivered by American for profit companies (like Kaplan and Laureate) you'll most probably be fine!
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To a certain extent it really doesn’t matter. If you have good experience, good ones with a good conversion rate to the doctorates will take you. If you just need to check a box and get your qualification, Clearing House don’t care as long as you’ve got the experience and employers certainly don’t.
If you’re international then that might not apply to you. Leicester, Northumbria and Glasgow are among the ones to aim for if you’re really aiming for international reputation.
Rkum2003
Rep:
?
I am not from the UK either even though I was a student there for some time. There seems to be a certain stigma among ex-polys (hence the reduced tuition fees compared to other universities). Justified or not I don't know. What I know is that some of them are good universities, like Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes etc.

In any case, If you find a course that you like the Curriculum, is accredited by the BPS and is not delivered by American for profit companies (like Kaplan and Laureate) you'll most probably be fine!
Thank you for the clarification!
Rkum2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by giella)
To a certain extent it really doesn’t matter. If you have good experience, good ones with a good conversion rate to the doctorates will take you. If you just need to check a box and get your qualification, Clearing House don’t care as long as you’ve got the experience and employers certainly don’t.
If you’re international then that might not apply to you. Leicester, Northumbria and Glasgow are among the ones to aim for if you’re really aiming for international reputation.
Thank you! I will select between Northumbria and Leicester I didn't apply to Glasgow due to the price and workload would be quite high (am going to be doing the programme while working full-time)
Last edited by Rkum2003; 1 month ago
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! I will select between Northumbria and Leicester I didn't apply to Glasgow due to the price and workload would be quite high (am going to be doing the programme while working full-time)
Always choose the part-time option (whenever there is one) if you are working. 1 year UK Master's are a PITA (surely not.. "enjoyable" - even if you are not working). Strathclyde also has a flex route - you can select the modules you want each year and finish the degree from 1 to 5 years (max). I see that Glasgow is a 3 years programme as well (standard) so you shouldn't have a problem. In any case and wherever you go, choose part-time.
Last edited by Sentenced_to; 1 month ago
Rkum2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Always choose the part-time option (whenever there is one) if you are working. 1 year UK Master's are a PITA (surely not.. "enjoyable" - even if you are not working). Strathclyde also has a flex route - you can select the modules you want each year and finish the degree from 1 to 5 years (max). I see that Glasgow is a 3 years programme as well (standard) so you shouldn't have a problem. In any case and wherever you go, choose part-time.
That's very wise - thank you. Best wishes to you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (53)
36.05%
No (77)
52.38%
I don't know (17)
11.56%

Watched Threads