The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology - which one to pick?

Hello everyone, I have been accepted by a few schools for the MSc Psychology conversion course (online). Would anyone be able to advise on which of the following would be the best one - my criteria is quality of the course, and workload. I know Leicester, and Essex are more expensive than the rest so that is a consideration too. Thank you for any inputs:
- Brunel
- Northumbria
- Leicester
- Essex
- Derby
Reply 1
Original post by Rkum2003
Hello everyone, I have been accepted by a few schools for the MSc Psychology conversion course (online). Would anyone be able to advise on which of the following would be the best one - my criteria is quality of the course, and workload. I know Leicester, and Essex are more expensive than the rest so that is a consideration too. Thank you for any inputs:
- Brunel
- Northumbria
- Leicester
- Essex
- Derby

© 2020 University of Essex Online. All rights reserved.
University of Essex Online courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning.

Kaplan, Inc. is an American for-profit corporation that provides blah blah blah

In other words: Run Away!

Other than that I would go to Leicester. If this is for 2021 entry I would also apply to Glasgow (if you can afford this one) and Strathclyde. Otherwise Leicester looks fine! Between ex-polys: Northumbria.
Reply 2
Original post by Sentenced_to
© 2020 University of Essex Online. All rights reserved.
University of Essex Online courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning.

Kaplan, Inc. is an American for-profit corporation that provides blah blah blah

In other words: Run Away!

Other than that I would go to Leicester. If this is for 2021 entry I would also apply to Glasgow (if you can afford this one) and Strathclyde. Otherwise Leicester looks fine! Between ex-polys: Northumbria.

Thank you - this is really helpful. I had no idea about Essex! Strathclyde looks great - will put in an application. Will work with the options you recommend - I REALLY appreciate this.
Just 1 questions : Why is Northumbria still considered among poly options? Does it make it less-than in any way? Am not from the UK hence all these questions.
Reply 3
Thank you - this is really helpful. I had no idea about Essex! Strathclyde looks great - will put in an application. Will work with the options you recommend - I REALLY appreciate this.
Just 1 questions : Why is Northumbria still considered among poly options? Does it make it less-than in any way? Am not from the UK hence all these questions.

I am not from the UK either even though I was a student there for some time. There seems to be a certain stigma among ex-polys (hence the reduced tuition fees compared to other universities). Justified or not I don't know. What I know is that some of them are good universities, like Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes etc.

In any case, If you find a course that you like the Curriculum, is accredited by the BPS and is not delivered by American for profit companies (like Kaplan and Laureate) you'll most probably be fine!
Reply 4
To a certain extent it really doesn’t matter. If you have good experience, good ones with a good conversion rate to the doctorates will take you. If you just need to check a box and get your qualification, Clearing House don’t care as long as you’ve got the experience and employers certainly don’t.
If you’re international then that might not apply to you. Leicester, Northumbria and Glasgow are among the ones to aim for if you’re really aiming for international reputation.
Reply 5
I am not from the UK either even though I was a student there for some time. There seems to be a certain stigma among ex-polys (hence the reduced tuition fees compared to other universities). Justified or not I don't know. What I know is that some of them are good universities, like Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Manchester Metropolitan, Oxford Brookes etc.

In any case, If you find a course that you like the Curriculum, is accredited by the BPS and is not delivered by American for profit companies (like Kaplan and Laureate) you'll most probably be fine!

Thank you for the clarification!
Reply 6
Original post by giella
To a certain extent it really doesn’t matter. If you have good experience, good ones with a good conversion rate to the doctorates will take you. If you just need to check a box and get your qualification, Clearing House don’t care as long as you’ve got the experience and employers certainly don’t.
If you’re international then that might not apply to you. Leicester, Northumbria and Glasgow are among the ones to aim for if you’re really aiming for international reputation.

Thank you! I will select between Northumbria and Leicester :smile: I didn't apply to Glasgow due to the price and workload would be quite high (am going to be doing the programme while working full-time)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Thank you! I will select between Northumbria and Leicester :smile: I didn't apply to Glasgow due to the price and workload would be quite high (am going to be doing the programme while working full-time)

Always choose the part-time option (whenever there is one) if you are working. 1 year UK Master's are a PITA (surely not.. "enjoyable" - even if you are not working). Strathclyde also has a flex route - you can select the modules you want each year and finish the degree from 1 to 5 years (max). I see that Glasgow is a 3 years programme as well (standard) so you shouldn't have a problem. In any case and wherever you go, choose part-time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Always choose the part-time option (whenever there is one) if you are working. 1 year UK Master's are a PITA (surely not.. "enjoyable" - even if you are not working). Strathclyde also has a flex route - you can select the modules you want each year and finish the degree from 1 to 5 years (max). I see that Glasgow is a 3 years programme as well (standard) so you shouldn't have a problem. In any case and wherever you go, choose part-time.

That's very wise - thank you. Best wishes to you!
Reply 9

Hi, I've also been offered a place at Northumbria and thinking of applying to Leicester. I also applied to Glasgow and waiting to hear back. What did you go for in the end?
Original post by Ponyo2
Hi, I've also been offered a place at Northumbria and thinking of applying to Leicester. I also applied to Glasgow and waiting to hear back. What did you go for in the end?

Hi, I've also been offered a place at Northumbria. After making peace with the idea of choosing Northumbria over Glasgow due to cost, I have now heard a few negative things about Northumbria University. Have you heard more about it? Did you continue to apply for Leicester?
Reply 11
Original post by MarinaAndreoli
Hi, I've also been offered a place at Northumbria. After making peace with the idea of choosing Northumbria over Glasgow due to cost, I have now heard a few negative things about Northumbria University. Have you heard more about it? Did you continue to apply for Leicester?

Hey Marina,

I actually ended up applying to Sheffield Hallam and have accepted a place there. Leicester looked decent but I wanted a face to face course and Northumbria was too far for me to commute and I wasn't sure how strong their online offering would be as they haven't been running it very long. I didn't get into Glasgow but if you did I would definitely think about it if you can afford it. What did you hear about Northumbria out of interest?
Original post by Ponyo2
Hey Marina,

I actually ended up applying to Sheffield Hallam and have accepted a place there. Leicester looked decent but I wanted a face to face course and Northumbria was too far for me to commute and I wasn't sure how strong their online offering would be as they haven't been running it very long. I didn't get into Glasgow but if you did I would definitely think about it if you can afford it. What did you hear about Northumbria out of interest?

I see- glad you found something that works for you!

What I heard about Northumbria only applies to the distance learning option because thats the route I'm going. I just heard that they stopped doing the seminars that people were expecting, there was minimal interaction with lecturers, and that their study materials were disappointing.
Hi there, I have just received an email to state Leicester has has BPS accreditation taken away - does anyone have any information on this?
Reply 14
Original post by agb19933991
Hi there, I have just received an email to state Leicester has has BPS accreditation taken away - does anyone have any information on this?

I saw the same, it did say that they were looking to have it reinstated by May 2021 but I assume there's no guarantee on that.

Quick Reply

Latest