University revision

Watch
AccountHolder
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi. I’m in my first year of biomedical science. I was wondering what revision techniques people have found the most effective in getting good grades and that are time efficient.
I’m making myself questions, and I was also wondering what I should include in these questions, like to make them effective and like what I may get in a MCQ exam?

Thanks

Casojbiomed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AccountHolder)
Hi. I’m in my first year of biomedical science. I was wondering what revision techniques people have found the most effective in getting good grades and that are time efficient.
I’m making myself questions, and I was also wondering what I should include in these questions, like to make them effective and like what I may get in a MCQ exam?

Thanks
Hey there,

I am in my 2nd year in BMS so I’m happy to share what worked for me.

In my first year, I made sure I stayed on top of my lecture notes by making sure I wrote them up pretty soon after the lectures. I used my annotated slides and maybe a textbook if I had one to write up my notes so that they had all the information they needed. This also applied for labs and seminars where I would make separate notes for them whether it was understanding the protocols or working through a bunch of calculations.

I then made flashcards soon after for the topics and would review them every couple of days in order to practice active recall and spaced repetition. If you haven’t heard of those techniques, I highly recommend you research them.

I kept a tracker on google sheets colour coding how I felt about topics after I had reviewed the flashcards - green was good, I got most of the cards right and red was ‘definitely need to go through Again’ and this way, I focused on the topics I struggled the most with and spent time getting better at them rather than wasting time and reviewing flashcards that I felt already quite good about.

I also tried to include further reading anywhere I could, not necessarily taking notes but if there was an interesting fact or something, I would just write it down.

Then in terms of practicing for MCQs, I think the flashcards are highly effective but also doing past papers that they give you! I can’t tell you how many students were caught out in their first exams because the questions they asked in the exam were some of our mock papers and those who did the mock papers, got a higher grade because they knew the answer compared to those who didn’t practice. That’s not to say that they’ll reuse questions in every exam, that was our first one for the year alsoooo text book questions are good practice.

I hope this make sense for you and I hope it will help you, I ended my first year with a a High 1st so you can do it :cool:
Last edited by Casojbiomed; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
15.93%
I'm not sure (8)
2.71%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.24%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.36%
I'm not a current university student (135)
45.76%

Watched Threads