Is LinkedIn really effective to find a job?

Watch
deep_learning
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently finished my postgraduate studies. Hence, me searching for a job currently. I've been applying for jobs through various platforms and agencies. However, multiple sources have told me to make an account with LinkedIn. I'm not exactly on a lot of social media as I personally avoid these. However, is LinkedIn really that effective to find a job or graduate job? Would I lose potential opportunities if I don't make an account? Any and all types of advice would be beneficial and thank you in advance.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What type of employment role and industry are you most interested in?

I'm not generally a fan of LinkedIn.
Best avoided, particularly when it comes to professional females.
In my experiences LinkedIn is over hyped, brimming with spammers and a huge number of professional guys looking to hookup plus expand their social networks on the site.
Grim_Squeaker
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
What type of employment role and industry are you most interested in?

I'm not generally a fan of LinkedIn.
Best avoided, particularly when it comes to professional females.
In my experiences LinkedIn is over hyped, brimming with spammers and a huge number of professional guys looking to hookup plus expand their social networks on the site.
I've never used it myself, as I work in a rather sensitive role and the organisation prefers we don't advertise what we do. Plenty of colleagues of mine are less discrete, especially those who used to be contractors.

I've never quite fancied trying to float around in the pond of jobseekers hoping someone pops along with a net.
deep_learning
Rep:
?
I am looking to get into a software engineering role. Actually, ideally within a data analyst role. But considering the current climate, any type of graduate scheme within the IT industry would suffice for now.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i've been offered numerous internship and job interviews through linkedin.
MalcolmX
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by deep_learning)
I am looking to get into a software engineering role. Actually, ideally within a data analyst role. But considering the current climate, any type of graduate scheme within the IT industry would suffice for now.
right now lots of companies are hiring junior/graduate software engineers. have you gotten any interviews?
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a friend who works for a recruitment agency and she says that one of the main ways they find potential people to approach about jobs is by looking at Linkedin
deep_learning
Rep:
?
Hmm, ok. Judging from the replies so far, half of you have had positive outcomes and the other half aren't too keen on LinkedIn.
I'll create an account judging by how some of you have had numerous opportunities come through from LinkedIn. This way I won't be ruling out potential opportunities.

I haven't had any interviews as of yet. I only finished my studies a week ago. I have been applying through many platforms except LinkedIn.
Spongebob'sPants
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely make a linkedin.
route255
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
i've been offered numerous internship and job interviews through linkedin.
Did you message them your CV?

Ive just been using email to contact, i do have linked in but dont use it .
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Make one. It probably won't be useful right now other than having some jobs advertised on there but as you gain experience recruiters will start to reach out to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.47%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (645)
49.12%

Watched Threads