Can you become a social worker with an eating disorder?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Trigger Warning - Eating Disorder
Spoiler:
Show
I've struggled with disordered eating for a while and things have taken a turn for the worse recently. While I'm not in a crisis, I'd like some support to try and avoid things getting to that point.

My plan atm is to refer myself to counselling at uni as this is not put on your medical record or anything. However, if things don't improve following this I will consider going to my GP to hopefully be referred to ED/mental health services.

I'm a third year student and looking to apply to Frontline/Think Ahead but I think that you have to do some sort of health check. I know my health should come first but I'm reluctant to go to my GP/ED services as I'm worried a diagnosis would stand in my way when trying to get onto either of the grad schemes. Could anyone shed some light on this? Would I have to disclose this in the health form? Thanks.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Trigger Warning - Eating Disorder
Spoiler:
Show
I've struggled with disordered eating for a while and things have taken a turn for the worse recently. While I'm not in a crisis, I'd like some support to try and avoid things getting to that point.

My plan atm is to refer myself to counselling at uni as this is not put on your medical record or anything. However, if things don't improve following this I will consider going to my GP to hopefully be referred to ED/mental health services.

I'm a third year student and looking to apply to Frontline/Think Ahead but I think that you have to do some sort of health check. I know my health should come first but I'm reluctant to go to my GP/ED services as I'm worried a diagnosis would stand in my way when trying to get onto either of the grad schemes. Could anyone shed some light on this? Would I have to disclose this in the health form? Thanks.
Have a chat with the careers people at your uni, as they'll be able to shed some light on this for you. However, I recommend seeing your GP. A career is not worth you potentially risking your health.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think it'd impact your chances, I know people with diagnosed EDs studying medicine and various other disciplines. Seek help anyway, there's no point putting a career ahead of something that could kill you if given half the chance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.69%
I'm not sure (14)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (132)
34.02%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.55%
I'm not a current university student (179)
46.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise