Marketing Degree - Does the UNI matter?

Watch
invalid_c
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,

Does the University in which you go to study Marketing matter? Like would a Russell Group uni put you at an advantage as opposed to a Non-Russell Group or do the accreditations and placements matter more?

I’ve read a lot about how Nursing degrees are professionally accredited, and so it doesn’t matter which University you go to as they all have the same professional expectations.
I’m wondering if it is similar for Marketing, considering the courses are usually accredited by the CIM (Chartered Institute for Marketing)?

I’ve been considering BCU (Birmingham City University), but I’ve read lots of mixed reviews and know it has a bad reputation. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
tellbell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally, I'd say go for the best uni you can for Marketing. It's so incredibly popular these days so you need to go to a uni that is known for a really good marketing course and one you can be open to many opportunities whilst you're there and once you leave. Good luck!
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by invalid_c)
Hey,

Does the University in which you go to study Marketing matter? Like would a Russell Group uni put you at an advantage as opposed to a Non-Russell Group or do the accreditations and placements matter more?

I’ve read a lot about how Nursing degrees are professionally accredited, and so it doesn’t matter which University you go to as they all have the same professional expectations.
I’m wondering if it is similar for Marketing, considering the courses are usually accredited by the CIM (Chartered Institute for Marketing)?

I’ve been considering BCU (Birmingham City University), but I’ve read lots of mixed reviews and know it has a bad reputation. All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, for a degree regarded as soft by employers you absolutely want to be going to the best uni possible. I've been job seeking during all this and it's very noticeable that some ACs are exclusively RG grads.
invalid_c
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Yes, for a degree regarded as soft by employers you absolutely want to be going to the best uni possible. I've been job seeking during all this and it's very noticeable that some ACs are exclusively RG grads.
Thank you.

ACs? Also what did you study and where at?
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by invalid_c)
Thank you.

ACs? Also what did you study and where at?
Assessment Centres, virtual these days.

Economics at a mid-tier RG. The place where I've accepted a Grad role at had 8 people in my AC, 7 studying traditional subjects at RGs, 5 or 6 with Firsts. The one non-RG candidate got about 85-90% in 3rd year for her Maths degree at Reading.

When you have 10 positions to fill, 1000 candidates, of which say 400 will meet minimum standards (x% in the tests, 2.1+, Z UCAS points), one of the easiest filters to press is RG only, and many firms do it. No-one ever got fired for hiring a RG grad. So unless the non-RG uni is one of the best for marketing in the country, go for RG.
Last edited by Cryptographic; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads