The Student Room Group

Personal statement query

Hi,

I'm currently writing my personal statement and I'm getting different opinions from everyone and since the deadlines in three days I'm stressing out.

The conflicting opinions are on whether I should talk about what I know of the subject or why I like the subject?

One of my teachers says I need to talk about the subject to show I'm interested whereas the other says that whoever is going to read the ps will already know all the content so there's no need for me to just show what I know.

Also I haven't added anything on the competitions I've been to, should I mention them or will my teacher write about it in my reference? Although really it's a bit late to change too much...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Both and link them. So for example: I am particularly interested in...., which I am interested in discovering more about at university. This led me to read/watch/research this...
So you are sharing your knowledge and interest at the same time.
This might help: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-personal-statement-worksheet.pdf
I would add the competitions if they're relevant.

Overall, aim your personal statement to be as relevant as strictly possible to the subject- strip away anything not relevant if you have too much.
There is a fine line between sounding like an essay (i.e. telling the admissions tutors what you know) and why you are interested in the subject (i.e. what your PS should be about)
Reply 3
Original post by Interrobang
There is a fine line between sounding like an essay (i.e. telling the admissions tutors what you know) and why you are interested in the subject (i.e. what your PS should be about)

Okay thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by historynerd47
Both and link them. So for example: I am particularly interested in...., which I am interested in discovering more about at university. This led me to read/watch/research this...
So you are sharing your knowledge and interest at the same time.
This might help: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-personal-statement-worksheet.pdf
I would add the competitions if they're relevant.

Overall, aim your personal statement to be as relevant as strictly possible to the subject- strip away anything not relevant if you have too much.

Thank you v much :smile:
You should write about both

Quick Reply

Latest