18 and I've ruined my life

Watch
Ihellow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,
I'm 18 years old and I truly think that I've ruined my life. I've always been a bit socially awkward and having dealt with some mental health issues and bullying in secondary school has left me without a great social instinct. During my gcses I had frequent panic attacks which would impact my exams meaning I left school with five gcses. In sixth form I was quickly dismissed as lazy although I figure I dealt with a long period of burnout. Although I was improving quite significantly in exams and in general grades in year 13, due to corona, I was awarded three (poor) a levels. The last job I had resulted in me being advised to leave due to panicking on a shift. I have nothing in my life to currently speak of and no future prospects.
Mustafa0605
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If academics isn’t for you, there are plenty of vocational courses such as building or plumbing or electrics or boiler maintenance ...
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ihellow)
Hello,
I'm 18 years old and I truly think that I've ruined my life. I've always been a bit socially awkward and having dealt with some mental health issues and bullying in secondary school has left me without a great social instinct. During my gcses I had frequent panic attacks which would impact my exams meaning I left school with five gcses. In sixth form I was quickly dismissed as lazy although I figure I dealt with a long period of burnout. Although I was improving quite significantly in exams and in general grades in year 13, due to corona, I was awarded three (poor) a levels. The last job I had resulted in me being advised to leave due to panicking on a shift. I have nothing in my life to currently speak of and no future prospects.
You absolutely haven't ruined your life. You life is just beginning and you're just starting out, it's okay to not have a clear path. Not many people do. Are you getting help for your mental health issues?
Ihellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
If academics isn’t for you, there are plenty of vocational courses such as building or plumbing or electrics or boiler maintenance ...
I can appreciate this, but im quite an academic person. I read Ulysses when I was fifteen and was considered quite bright until a couple years ago. Everyone was expecting me to go to university and now i just feel lost.
Ihellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You absolutely haven't ruined your life. You life is just beginning and you're just starting out, it's okay to not have a clear path. Not many people do. Are you getting help for your mental health issues?
I was released from CAHMS a couple months ago but im still on antidepressants.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was released from CAHMS a couple months ago but im still on antidepressants.
Are you able to get access to any therapy or counselling services?
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,
As a sufferer of poor mental health for 15 years, I can empathise. I suffer from both anxiety and depression and have had panic attacks in the past.

don’t worry about jobs and uni and grades atm. What you need to do is focus on your mental wellbeing. Meditate, research mindfulness, breathing exercises, possibly talking therapies to get long term help. It may seem like it but it’s not the end of the world. I am in my 30’s now an am unemployed and not in education. I am focusing on my mental health.

Listen to this, close your eyes, and drift off to sleep: https://youlisten.co/?v=FjHGZj2IjBk
Ihellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Are you able to get access to any therapy or counselling services?
I'm not sure, the last I spoke to my doctor was just a review for my medication. I don't know if they'd take me seriously.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure, the last I spoke to my doctor was just a review for my medication. I don't know if they'd take me seriously.
Ask for therapy. They should take you seriously.

Are you looking after yourself in other areas? Eating enough nutrious food, drinking enough water? How's your sleep? Are you exercising regularly? etc.

You haven't ruined your life. Loads of people don't go on the straight and narrow. Take control. Work on the things that are causing issues, and seek help for the things you cannot manage by yourself.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They'll take you seriously. Tell them what you've told us here.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,
You left school with five GCSE's. My dude, try leaving with ****ing ONE. You haven't ruined anything.
Gobradders
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,
My friend had anxiety and panic attacks and found Nadia's story helpful, check out this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/me...and-me/anxiety
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I left school with no gcses. I got my first when I was 37 and now I'm at uni. Don't worry too much, you'll find your way if you don't stress it. You're too young to have ruined your life, there's plenty of paths you can take now.
Getting counselling helped me, I hope you're able to get some help and support.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,
Go and see your GP and get yourself some talking therapy to deal with anxiety issues and maybe some medication. Have you done this?
Just resit your A levels or do an access course.
You have plenty of time to sort things out.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/panic-disorder/

Anxiety
https://www.nopanic.org.uk/no-panic-youth-hub/
https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/get-help/
https://www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/se...f/anxiety/view
https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...elf-help-guide
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-anxiety/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.13%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (384)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.2%

Watched Threads